How to bring an "A" home, eh?

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hi All

I am planning to pick up an "A" body and tow it home.

No trailer. :(

Anyone have experience with a rented dolly-style hauler/tow bar. Or made a home made one? Any suggestions welcomed!
I have a guy with a truck at my disposal but no money for a trailer or to pay a pro.

pete

I've pulled with a tow dolly, but it's not very safe compared to a trailer. I used one that bolted to the bumper somehow and had a couple safety chains. I'd work real hard to borrow a trailer.

I've pulled with a tow dolly, but it's not very safe compared to a trailer. I used one that bolted to the bumper somehow and had a couple safety chains. I'd work real hard to borrow a trailer.

Yup big trailer and a class 3 hitch.

If you use a tow dolly make sure you also chain the car to the front
of the dolly! Don't count on the nylon webbing that goes around the tires
to hold it on.

Here's what happens when they come off....this was my buddy's car

Car came off of my dolly after hitting a pot hole, rolled down the road
then over a small hill, back wheels hit a dead log on the ground, bounced
up and landed on the tree, then slid over with the tree resting in the
middle of the car. This all happened in about 15 seconds. He had just
bought the car 20 minutes earlier.

J01_Medium_.jpg

J03_Medium_.jpg

That sucks!

If it is an auto car unbolt the driveshaft and tie it up under the car well. It keeps the trans pump from spinning and helps the trans.

I have dollied cars a few hundred miles before without incident. After seeing the pictures above tying them down to the dolly would have been a good idea.

That sucks!

If it is an auto car unbolt the driveshaft and tie it up under the car well. It keeps the trans pump from spinning and helps the trans.

I have dollied cars a few hundred miles before without incident. After seeing the pictures above tying them down to the dolly would have been a good idea.

yea I have dollied them too...hmmmmm makes me want to buy a trailer now....wow....aaaa hell its only a chevy.LOL.......

Get a Uhaul, depending on how far away it is, its worth the $$. I paid $60 for the use of it for a whole day. Just tell ewe haul that you are moving a car 20 miles. Good luck with the weather we have been having up here!

tow dolly works fine just chain or byed it down straps work loose after a while. i like to dolly over trailer. imo. take shaft out and your on the way. just stop and recheck . als

Get a Uhaul, depending on how far away it is, its worth the $$. I paid $60 for the use of it for a whole day. Just tell ewe haul that you are moving a car 20 miles. Good luck with the weather we have been having up here!
this would be my suggestion also. i towed a vehicle across country on one of them damn dollies, was an experience I never want to go thru again. I also towed with a tow bar a few times, if going any further than across town on surface streets I would not recommend this...

I've used tow dollies many times, all behind pick up trucks. Longest pull was from upstate N.Y. to Statesboro, Ga. I've never had any problems. I've also never used a chain as a safety, but probably will now! If it is an auto, and a short run; just leave the car idling for the trip. If it is a longer trip pull the driveshaft - auto or stick.
If you end up using the tow dolly and use a chain for safety, don't chain it tight. The front end needs to be able to bounce and keep in mind how the dolly and car works together on turns and corners.
C

Back in 75 we used my 73 six banger Gremlin to pull a 65 ss Impala about 25 miles with only a garden hose. Thats constitutes illegal towing today and will rsult in fines ( if caught ).
It was cartoonish to watch the hose streeeeeetch before the big chevy would begin to roll.
Where there is a will there is a way. Good luck

I have a rinky dink tow dolly and will now be making sure to chain the car up. Depending on how far u go its not that bad. Gotta make sure the rear tires are full of air on the car being towed. A good spare for the dolly as well as the car being towed. Maybe a can of "fix a flat" or tire slime just in case. Even better to have a tire plug kit and portable air source. If u rent the dolly, they might charge u for putting stop leak stuff in the wheels since its not good for them.

Backing up is nearly impossible for my dolly. If u get one with a longer tounge it might work. I have to plan a route with no reverse necessary.

Towed a 71 Duster with my 72 Swinger 225 about 300 miles using a dolly. Was interesting to be sure, but hey, I've done dumber things in my life :)

Grant

A trailer is the only way to go.....
Years ago I saw an idiot towing a 72 Cutlass with about a 1985 Nissan pick-up. It was pushing that little Nissan all over the place all the way until somebody pulled out in front of him. He spiked the brakes and that big Olds pushed him right into the offender.
Just because it will pull it does not mean it is safe.

I have towed many Mopars accross the country with tow dollies with out any issues. A trailer is better, a wheel lift wrecker is even better and a rollback wrecker with car loaded on the bed is the best.
I usally haul cars within 100 miles with my rollback. The further away the smaller the equipment gets due to operation costs.
If I am going to use a tow dolly I always take two new tires mounted to the correct rims if possible to put on the car along with rearend lube, tools, jacks and a BIG hammer to use if all else fails.

when my dad bought his 69 charger they pulled it home with a rope with a 69 440 superbee down the main street of the town i live in. He learned from experience that the tow car that's running is going to stop alot faster then the charger that's not, nothing a new grille can't fix, lol. I've heard bad things about some of the dolleys, i've never had any bad experiences with them so i can't really say either way, some people love em some won't go near them, i'd reccomend a trailer but if you can't afford it thats the end of the story i guess. good luck regardless!!

-
Back