How to crank engine by hand

-
I think if you can't turn a slant over by hand by pulling on the fan belt w/ 2 hands (push & pull), something is dragging internally, or you are a Nancy Boy (a bit harsh, I have injured my arms in wrestling ball joints that I can barely lift a suitcase for a few months). Later engines might have a shroud making access harder. You should feel 3 strong "air springs" per crank revolution, and hear each hiss down. That is an easy check to do if inspecting a car to buy. Turn it over clock-wise, when viewed from the front. Only a few engines (Lincoln's?) run "backwards".

Squirt some WD40 into each cylinder and let it soak. Tractor supply is likely to have it. I found mine at a local heavy equipment rental. Chain stores vary by region consiiderably.
Sam

There's nothing wrong with your engine. That alternator belt isn't but about 1/2" wide. Pretty tough to turn an engine over with that.

If it's got a manual transmission you'll have to take it out of gear.

Yeah, my car kept running over me 'til I did that...LOL

Ya, I'm used to working with cars with automatics and when I tried to turn my son's Roadrunner motor by hand I had a hell of a time budging it before I remembered it was hooked to a 4-speed.

with some skill I bump the crank/#1 piston to around 10-15 degrees before top, on the compression stroke, with a screwdriver at the starter relay. then drop the distrib in, rotor pointing at #1 on the cap-impresses the non-mopar people

:munky2::munky2:
Save me Jesus.

Honest to God, I clicked this thread to find out how it turned into that many
responses,lmao!! Yes there are threads in there,thats how you install the press on
dampner.Yes they are the same thread as BOTH SB & BB, the SB bolt is longer I believe,
don't recall which one works better.Yes, you can turn the eng. w/the fan with the plugs
out,but you have to have it tite and use your other hand as a "tensioner" on the slack
side w/them in.That can be hard on the hand and a PITA, so, pull the plugs if you go the
fan route. :glasses7:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Update: found the bolt and washer at Napa. $8.
started to thread it in, until I realized I don't have a socket large enough for the bolt. i only had a 1in. So off it came. Tried the bump method with screw driver on the starter. fun sparks, got it close.
Then got it tight with my boney hands. left hand on lower belt, right hand on power steering pully. Pull with left hand, while pushing down on steering pump. And I was able to move it in small increments until I got TDC.
reinstalled distrib., check timing, got it to about 8deg before and it is running nicely.

Decided the alt belt was too loose, spread it out a little more, tightened the mounting screw back and....stripped it. ******* comedy of errors right over here.

so i guess now time to remove the alt., get out my old tap/die set and see what I have to do now.

Glad you got it. Good for you!

Worst-case you can get another alternator cheap at a junkyard. I pulled several new-looking ones off 1980's trucks for $10. Could add a heli-coil, maybe a backup nut, or tap for a bigger bolt. If you do the last one and later return as a core, some guy will be cussing when his bolt doesn't fit.

I am a little surprised that I was the only 1 to suggest rotating the engine with the starter-simple and free

-
Back