How to import a US car? - no title state

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking at a car on another site and it is in a state where they do not issue titles for older vehicles. All the Canadian Customs site doc's mention you must have an original title when you reach the border crossing.

Little unclear as to how this works.

Other sites say you only need notarized bill of sale and signed registration to import a no-title car.

Whats the diff between a title and registration?

If you get it home how do you get a clear ownership for the car in Canada?

Anyone been through this?:?:

Pete

Pete, never been thru your situation, but have brought a few back and they ALL have to have titles period! I have talked to CBP(customs border protection in US) and they say all cars need a title...no offense to the US, but it seems like the state laws vary from state to state quite a bit. My suggestion if you know someone in the US that you trust and is close to this car, have them "purchase" the car and get a title for it. A lotta trust put out there, but that is one way to get the title. And you need a title to leave the US and enter Canada...unless you wanna bring it back in pieces....

Yeah, one site did mention that it was much easier to pull the fenders, doors and hood and bring the car in as a parts car. Not interested!
I have a second one that is more money so i will see if it has a title.

You up for a road trip in the spring?

pete

I had to have one to bring my last car across. Some states (Montana) will title a car but it takes time and you need someone there to handle the paperwork for you.
You can check with the local border crossing but most customs agents make it tough to bring a car without the title. Never had any luck without one...

Nope. If you have a title for an older car and you use it to register the car they take the title. I have a CA title for my Duster. No way will I give it to them. If I ever have to sell its way easier for everyone.

Maybe the owner can get a title from a title service ? Is the car currently registered ?

-
Back