how to install torque converter?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
318/904 tranny. PTC converter. are there any special tips on how to install torque converters? need a little help. seems i cant tell if the torque converter is all the way seated in the tranny. how do u properly line up the slot on the TC into tranny. how do i tell for sure if its installed correctly/all the way?

working on this as we speak. thanks for ur help

Just did mine,spin it clockwise,(pushing slightly on it).You should feel it drop in.You will hear it.It should drop in with a audlble clunk.Now rotate it counter clockwise,you wiill feel it drop again.One more time clockwise.This one is a little harder that the first two.Three drops should do it.Be patient,race converters are tighter tolerances than the stock stuff.

ok, followed what u said and now its in! thank you, now, what are the torque specs for the flex plate to the torque converter? it is a tci SFI flex plate and i have 12 point ARP 7/16 bolts.

It also helps to bolt the flex plate up and mark it before you bolt it to the motor
I usually do it neater , but was in a hurry that day,,,, andddddd if you already knew that maybe it'll help someone else

Attachments

• DSCN6740.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 414
Damn ,that was quick! Are you using loctite,oil ,or arp lube? If loctite or oil ,7/16 fine calls for 60 ft/pds .Arp moly lube not a clue.

ok blu 73 i foud out about marking it earlier today, thank u for bringing it up though, im sure if i didnt find out today id be pulling my hair out!

okay Abodybomber, im using blue loctite. so 60 ft lbs it is

I don't mean too high jack the thread, but I'm getting ready to do mine and my engine is already in. Do I put flex plate on the converter, then put trans in.

No man,line up the holes on the crank flange.(flex plate to rear of crank)Make sure you use loctite,torque bolts to 60ft/pds.If you have time,index the outer bolt holes of the flexplate to the converter.This will keep you from going kooky when cinchin er down.Kudos to 73 blus input(see pic above)Mopardude 318,please video that 408 when done,mine died last year,oil drive shaft died,Peace!

ok i have a bit of a hiccup here....i found that my performance converter (PTC, 3000 stall) does not have the attachment points for a 7/16 bolt. they are actually for the stock 5/16 size...my sfi approved flex plate holes are for a 7/16 bolt....would it be okay to use my stock 5/16 flex plate bolts for that aftermarket flex plate? maybe later i can updart to a stronger arp 5/16 bolt?

or should i ditch that idea completely, and use my stock flex plate (not sfi approved) and stock bolts?

or send the converter back to have them make me the correct one? (3 week waiting period)

what are your thoughts?

Use your old bolts,exchange later.5/16 fine thread 22 lbs,lock her down, man.

flex plate bolts are 5 or 8 pointers? I thought they were 8 point I am not sure there is anything stronger you would want to use? OR you can get your TC tabs drilled & tapped...that only costs about $50...NOT including the labor to pull the tranny.... I am just NOT a fan of having too large of a hole, especially there...makes for a potential shear point

ONLY sayin this because mine let go cranked them puppies down to 60 and three weeks later everyone of them pulled out..... made a mess bought a new TC the threads were so bad...taking the "OLD" ( as in three weeks old ) to have new tabs welded on.... nice spare!!
OH ya use the BLUE loctite YOU do not want those guys backin out

Use your old bolts,exchange later.5/16 fine thread 22 lbs,lock her down, man.

if i do use the old stock 5/16 bolts, there will be an 1/8 space from the bolt to the 7/16 hole in the flex plate..same thing if i use the ARP 5/16 bolt, it will just be a stronger bolt...

flex plate bolts are 5 or 8 pointers? I thought they were 8 point I am not sure there is anything stronger you would want to use? OR you can get your TC tabs drilled & tapped...that only costs about $50...NOT including the labor to pull the tranny.... I am just NOT a fan of having too large of a hole, especially there...makes for a potential shear point

ONLY sayin this because mine let go cranked them puppies down to 60 and three weeks later everyone of them pulled out..... made a mess bought a new TC the threads were so bad...taking the "OLD" ( as in three weeks old ) to have new tabs welded on.... nice spare!!
OH ya use the BLUE loctite YOU do not want those guys backin out

i cant get the tabs drilled, not enough meat on them...5/16 bolt is all the tabs will take...

about the stock bolts, use those and upgrade to the same size bolt, only from ARP, its a stronger bolt...

OR ditch it all and use my stock flex plate, and stock bolts....??????

Hope you got my pm.If not,stock flx will work.I have seen 5/16 bolts launch a dart on a 125 shot on slicks.You should know rgar transbrakes,superchargers,or neutral drops change everything.Good luck.

Yes ,you posted while I was posting.I had a turbo action 11 inch 2709 stall.Had 5/16 bolts like yours.Never hurt it.68 dart 318,ported heads.3.55s out back.Never hurt it.

ok my last question, is it a better idea to change back to the stock flex plate, and use the stock bolts, OR keep the sfi unit i have that has the 7/16 bolt holes and use the smaller bolt.

(smaller bolt in the larger hole being the weak point)

I wouldn't use 5/16" bolts in a 7/16" hole. That's a lot of slop. I'd use the stock flexplate first. Your 318 isn't going to trash that stock plate unless it's already junk. JMO

You could shim it with a in between washer,I cannot recommend it.For the horsepower you got golng on,deal with a stock flexplate/fasteners..

you could always have somebody make a spacer to fit in the flex plate

so a thin insert 7/16 OD and 5/15 ID...

just make sure its so thin that the bolts/converter lugs wont bottom out against those and not the plate...

Unless that 318 is making 500+ hp and the tranny you just installed is built out tight....a stock flex will do ya just peachy...they are all over the place and one HELL of alot cheaper than the SFI......... bolts & holes need to be the same or it becomes a sheer point...that plate slips under any hard start load and it will slice all those bolts off OR F up the plate....the only surface that holds the plate at that point is the difference between the size of the bolt head to the opening of the hole....not near enuf for me!! just sayin

ok guys. thanks for all your help and taking the time to write it out for me. i installed the factory flex plate and bolts, and all is well. i dont have 500 horsepower, lol. try about 350.

now onto installing the eng./tranny!

-
Back