How to reassemble Crane Hi Intensity lifter?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Was reinstalling my lifters when I noticed on of the cup springs was sticking out on one side. Finally got it apart and straightened the spring out, but can't get the cup to depress to get the spring back in.
I'm sure I'm just frustrated and missing something, but what is the trick here?

20180704_192612.jpg

20180704_192559.jpg

Try cleaning out all the oil so there will be less resistance when pushing down plunger. Also make sure there is no scoring in body of the lifter.

The spring was a little bent up. Wondering if it's worth it to just replace the lifter, about $25 shipped.

Then I started thinking maybe normal hydraulic lifters.Probably don't need variable duration lifters with 10.1:1 SCR...

....next thing I know I'm looking at ads for solid cams and lifters. ( I already have Pro Magnum adjustable rockers, and I just got my Edelbrocks and Air Gap max-ported)...
It's a sickness!

I do like this Comp XE285HL , though.

The spring was a little bent up. Wondering if it's worth it to just replace the lifter, about $25 shipped.

Then I started thinking maybe normal hydraulic lifters.Probably don't need variable duration lifters with 10.1:1 SCR...

....next thing I know I'm looking at ads for solid cams and lifters. ( I already have Pro Magnum adjustable rockers, and I just got my Edelbrocks and Air Gap max-ported)...
It's a sickness!

I do like this Comp XE285HL , though.
I would do the new lifter ,personally....

Take a curved pick and pull out the inner plunger - there's a small oil hole the pick can get into. Then clean the parts in solvent and blow dry. Reassemble with a little oil (don't fill it... a few drops is plenty). The spring first, then the plunger, then the steel disc with the side pictured towards the plunger (it's laying upside down on the towel now), then the pushrod cup. At this point it should move freely a ways. Straighten the spring, depress the pushrod cup, slip the "closed" end of the retaining spring in it's groove, then while depressing the pushrod seat, snap in the "legs" of the retaining clip. Not a big deal.

The spring was misplaced from the factory..... 25.00 or tear the engine apart down the road. Huuuuuum. No brainer to me. I

The bottom picture - the one with the convex center - that faces down. The "feet" on the legs of the clip point IN. Not up or down. Once in the engine that clip is along for the ride. The lifter gets preloaded and the clip just holds itself in.

-
Back