How to remove front center dash 4 x 10 speaker on Swinger

-

rms492

Reaction score
Hello, have a '70 Swinger, how do you remove the center mounted dash speaker in the front?

There appear to be no screw tips visible through the windshield.

I removed the glovebox, and I can see the screws that hold the speaker in place, but my question is how do I actually get to removing those screws?

Do I have to remove anything else first?

You have to come up from under the dash, and if you have a radio it helps to remove it first so you can see up there.

My front speaker was blown, could see the paper cone through the speaker grill. I changed the carpet and had the front seat out, bench seat is what I had. Being middle age and fat there was no way I could see anything but to have the seat out. The Rallye dash has the thumb style radio, the radio has to be remove. Three screws is what I had two that holds the radio to the dash and one for the back bracket. You may consider a dual coil speaker up front if you go this far. Hope this helps.

You may consider a dual coil speaker up front if you go this far. Hope this helps.

This is probably what I am going to do with the wife's 72 Dart since I just put a four channel stereo in it and only have the two rear 6x9 four ways in the back.

In my opinion music in a car is a whole lot better if it comes from the front and rear both, and that front grill is a nice clean way of doing that.

first - take some 101 contortionist classes.. :D anyway, you'll probably want to have someone around to hand you tools because once you're in place under there you don't want to have to come back out to try to gather up the right socket - which, BTW, should be at the end of a longer extension, 1/4" drive should be enough - are those nuts 3/8ths...??? and aren't they "speed nuts"? or is that the air duct outlets.. ? no, those are 1/2" speed nuts.. dahh.. I can't remember..

-
Back