How to Remove/Replace '72 Dart Hood Hinge Pivot Stud?

-

nub340

Reaction score
Anyone know how to go about removing the studs that the hood hinges pivot on properly? It looks like they're pressed in from under the dash but when I went to knock them out with a hammer it seems to be bending in the metal plate that they protrude through. Do I need to cut and drill them out or is there a more effective way?

Can't seem to find anything in the service manual about it. Section 3-48 has a diagram that shows them and calls them a "WELD STUD" but doesn't mention how to remove them.

I'm in the middle of replacing my old bent & fatigued hood hinges with a good pair I found and I noticed the driver's side stud was a little crooked. Since everything is apart I wanted to take the opportunity to swap these studs out with a legit threaded shoulder bolt, pair of PTFE washers and a nylon lock nut and ditch the silly spring/star washer thingies.

Thanks!

Anyone know how to go about removing the studs that the hood hinges pivot on properly? It looks like they're pressed in from under the dash but when I went to knock them out with a hammer it seems to be bending in the metal plate that they protrude through. Do I need to cut and drill them out or is there a more effective way?

Can't seem to find anything in the service manual about it. Section 3-48 has a diagram that shows them and calls them a "WELD STUD" but doesn't mention how to remove them.

I'm in the middle of replacing my old bent & fatigued hood hinges with a good pair I found and I noticed the driver's side stud was a little crooked. Since everything is apart I wanted to take the opportunity to swap these studs out with a legit threaded shoulder bolt, pair of PTFE washers and a nylon lock nut and ditch the silly spring/star washer thingies.

Thanks!
They are spot welded in. If you look closely on the inside you will see.

They are spot welded in. If you look closely on the inside you will see.

Ah OK, thanks! I suspected that was probably the case. Appreciate the confirmation. I'll take a closer look under the dash when I get home from work.

I will add that its not uncommon to see them crooked. They were probably that way from day 1.

-
Back