How to remove steering wheel on 69 Dart GT

-

Stephens69GT

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this site.
I want to surprise my husband with a new steering wheel.
Can anyone give me the steps to remove the old one?

Thanks.

Which steering wheel is on the car now might help us help you?

Welcome & sounds like a cool surprise!!

Currently we have an aftermarket one on and he's been wanting a new one. The original cracked many years ago.

It's a solid steering column, we have the floor shifter.

I already have the new one. It's sitting in the box. I want to install it for our wedding anniversary.

Look for this in his tool box
oes-27019.jpg

Free up an hour before you go on a date and install it together.

Lol.... I already have a harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller. I have been looking for longer bolts, need 2.5-3".
In my frustration, I was hoping to find another way.

Home Depot and Lowe's doesn't carry the fine full-thread bolts in the size I need.

Loosen center nut on steering column, but leave on a few threads so wheel does not fly off and hit you in the face. Take a punch or long bolt and tap with a hammer on center column while pushing up on wheel with your knee, and pulling up with your arm wrapped in the wheel. Tap is the word there. Should pop right up.

The flywheel puller for Briggs and Stratton doesn't work but serves as example. Drill 2 holes in a small piece of flat bar.
Pulling on the shaft chances damaging the signal switch etc.., and possibly pulling the column apart. We can't know if the sheer pins in there are intact.
There's a snap ring on top of that upper bearing to prevent downward movement. Nothing to prevent upward movement. Good luck with it.

Loosen center nut on steering column, but leave on a few threads so wheel does not fly off and hit you in the face. Take a punch or long bolt and tap with a hammer on center column while pushing up on wheel with your knee, and pulling up with your arm wrapped in the wheel. Tap is the word there. Should pop right up.
Great! thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate your help.

The flywheel puller for Briggs and Stratton doesn't work but serves as example. Drill 2 holes in a small piece of flat bar.
Pulling on the shaft chances damaging the signal switch etc.., and possibly pulling the column apart. We can't know if the sheer pins in there are intact.
There's a snap ring on top of that upper bearing to prevent downward movement. Nothing to prevent upward movement. Good luck with it.
HHhmmm...that's interesting.
I will prepare this way also. So if the 1st suggestion doesn't work for me, I can start this right away without having to get things ready.
I'm grateful for your help. I will post a pic when I get it done so you all can see!

-
Back