How to remove?

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Whats the trick? BFM? :wack: Or a serious press? I want to put the column seal on her but I have to remove the pin first...and she no like come OUT! :banghead:

probably seems obvious...but I figured someone here has a trick I can do...like a can of Tomato paste, a shoe shine rag and Uno cards and it will come right off.

Many mahalos!

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 420
I generally just open a vise wide enough to lay the shaft across it with the pin in between the jaws ( but don't clamp the pin ) and use a hammer and punch to take it out. hope this makes sense....

It can be pressed out or you take the easy route and pull the shaft out (remove the snap ring and bearing at the other end).

I wouldn't drive that pin out unless I had a new one to trplave it. It is included in the box coupling rebuild package. Even so , some choose to just leave the original if it doesn't show a lot of wear.
It would have been easier to slide the shaft out the bottom, butsince you already took the box coupling apart... may as well buy the kit and do it all. Driving that pin out isn't as difficult as driving the new one in a getting it centered. Good luck

Redfish...I've got the kit to rebuild. (So ys I have a replacement pin and they are the same size and dimension) Added a grease fitting to the coupler also.
If I didn't need to put that seal I would LEAVE it alone. I hate the fact that I need to change it as it is solid and no wear.
I suppose I could go the route of doing it from the other side but that means taking more things apart that worked fine!

Mahalo Redfish...I'll need it!

I have to say I've never driven that pin out while the shaft is inside the column. I dont know what kind of damage that might do to all those other parts.
Centering the new pin with a hammer is the tricky part. Find a socket or similar to gauge it before you drive the original out can help. The socket will be a positive stop in a press or with the hammer ( final blows ).
If it looks good enough to suit you... leave it and put the coupling back together around it.
Put your time and effort into getting the top to stay in place and happy moparing :)

Put it in a vise with a 3/8 deep well impact socket over one side of the pin. Tighten the vise driving the pin inside the deep well till its flush.Use a flat round 1/8 inch punch to drive it the rest of the way out.

I have to say I've never driven that pin out while the shaft is inside the column. I dont know what kind of damage that might do to all those other parts. Thats what I'm afraid of
Centering the new pin with a hammer is the tricky part. Find a socket or similar to gauge it before you drive the original out can help. The socket will be a positive stop in a press or with the hammer ( final blows ).
If it looks good enough to suit you... leave it and put the coupling back together around it.
Put your time and effort into getting the top to stay in place and happy moparing :)

Mahalo

Put it in a vise with a 3/8 deep well impact socket over one side of the pin. Tighten the vise driving the pin inside the deep well till its flush.Use a flat round 1/8 inch punch to drive it the rest of the way out.

I like this idea
Mahalo!

BTW the FSM says to drive it out with a press...but I don't recall if it says to disassemble the unit....

I disassembled the whole column but I was rebuilding it with new bottom seal, new seal on the small floor plate (65 A Body) and new turn signal switch from SSDan. Leanna powder coated the column and top two pieces. All reassembled and looks and should work great!

Attachments

• New For Sale 030.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 325
  • New For Sale 034.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 321
65Dartman~ Thats the rub. I don't need to rebuild it. The switch and bearing are great. The only reason I pulled it out was I put in a new steering gear box. Otherwise I would have left it place. But since I did remove it....I bought the steering coupler rebuild kit, seal and added the grease fitting on the coupler.
I might as well install that high dollar seal.

I thought about painting the end (Shaft) but more than likely it will all be hidden by the headers and the Power brake assembly.
Mahalo...btw nice job leanna! (Like thats a surprise!!!!)

I just removed the whole steering column and wheel from the car, chucked up a socket in the vise, and pressed it out. Once that pin moves, it easily drives the rest of the way out with a drift or punch & hammer. Reinstalling and centering up that pin is much easier, than its removal.

With column out on the bench, it is a great time to clean & paint it.

Wjajr~ mahalo! I did paint the engine bay. Everything in the engine bay has been or is going to be gone thru. Rewrapped the electrical, added relays for headlight relays. Engine is sitting on the side waiting for new brake lines. Tranny will be done this week and so will the power steering pump.

Aloha all! I got it installed. Old neighbor works for a dealership and pressed it right out. He was done in 5 minutes! Yes!

And that is the Doug's headers installed (Well sitting there waiting for the engine) it had enough wiggle room to slide into place without removing the TB.

Attachments

• photo-6.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 246
You're gonna hate yourself when you go about steering that puppy and the upper bearing squeaks because you didn't take all that upper stuff apart and grease the bearing!!! How do I know???......

Ahhhh haaa maybe... But she never squeaked before I tore her apart... But it is possible! She was a low miles, garaged and babied barracuda. Wish me luck.

Just pullin' your chain at my own squeaky expense there Mike!! Besides, I just wanted to see your avatar pic again!!! Geof

Just pullin' your chain at my own squeaky expense there Mike!! Besides, I just wanted to see your avatar pic again!!! Geof

Figured! I wish I could post more pictures...(I've got a ton) but I promised the photographer I wouldn't. The model was great...it was weird seeing her climb all over the car though....

dfnsmn34, where did you get your coupler rebuild kit? I see the little orange seal on there, just curious. thanks!

-
Back