How to seal help

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The day warmed up to about 50 F today so I went out to install my dual's and intake manifolds :happy10:
After getting all my parts outside I set all my washers and seen that there is a problem :tongue9:
The split exhaust manifolds want to move away from the cupped washers and not tighten up to the gasket #-o

And I am sure that they will not stay in place.

Any thoughts on this, The intake is tight and the exhaust I can wiggle a little

CREEDS DRUMM CASES.jpg

Measure the thickness of the flanges on the exhaust and the intake. They need to be within .050" of each other. You will also need to support the exhaust in the middle to keep it from sagging (maybe a strap across the outlet flanges) and start the 2 end exhaust studs and the center intake stud first. The 3 cupped washers go on with the high side down and the triangular washers go on with the high side out. You also need to start in the middle and work your way to the ends working from top to bottom studs as you go. Hope this helps.

Mike, You could use a little of the high temp RTV (copper/orange) on the exhaust manifolds to give it a little extra grab, but I'm guessing that once you get the end brass bullet nuts on and tight it should align and snug right up. It does bring up an interesting thing though....will the heat cycling of the ex manifold make it "fall" in relation to the ex port at the head?? You might want to send a PM to the Doc at .org and see what he says, I know enough people are running those manifolds, someone has to know.
Looks like a SWEET setup by the way :thumleft:

Grumpus beat me to it, I was going to say to install the triangular washers with the cupped side facing ourwards and yes to measuring the thickness of the flanges to make sure they're very close to each other.

Grumpus beat me to it, I was going to say to install the triangular washers with the cupped side facing ourwards and yes to measuring the thickness of the flanges to make sure they're very close to each other.

Thank you demon seed :happy10: Good ol Grumpus called and straightened me out and got me on track :cheers: Thank you again Grumpus :cheers:
I sure do appreciate all of yall's knowledge and help :cheers

I thought I did put the cup side to the manifold, I guess I put the bowl side to the manifold
Words sure got me confused, They don't say bowl side, Just cup side
I must not know the difference :read2:
I will get back at it tomorrow :cheers:
I have been bent over all I am going to today 8)

While I am here at this thread I am going to up loud a picture of my hardware for quick reference

CREEDS DRUMM CASES 083.jpg

Mike, You could use a little of the high temp RTV (copper/orange) on the exhaust manifolds to give it a little extra grab, but I'm guessing that once you get the end brass bullet nuts on and tight it should align and snug right up. It does bring up an interesting thing though....will the heat cycling of the ex manifold make it "fall" in relation to the ex port at the head?? You might want to send a PM to the Doc at .org and see what he says, I know enough people are running those manifolds, someone has to know.
Looks like a SWEET setup by the way :thumleft:

Thank you player1up :happy10: I am happy with it to I just can't read and understand cup side 8) I had them backwards
I thought cup side meant the round side :read2: I put the bowl side to the manifold
Crazy me, Grumpuscreature called me and got me straighten out :cheers:

I do have pictures of the system some where that I took before I removed the intake and exhaust

I just had another brain fart 8)

Had me worried there for a minute :cheers:

No need to worry wag's :cheers: They will be on and sounding good soon :cheers:
I will make you proud when you hear my video with the new pipes hooked up after new years =P~=P~ I may even do a quick fire up when I get the carb on and fire her up open with out pipes hooked up :cheers:

Mike
If it doesnt work give me a call and I will come up and help. I have extra triangle washers etc. and have solves so wierd mating problems before.
Frank

Mike
If it doesnt work give me a call and I will come up and help. I have extra triangle washers etc. and have solves so wierd mating problems before.
Frank
Hello brother :cheers:
Thank you but I have this whooped know bud :-D
Good to see ya back, I had one heck of a brain fart :toothy10:
I looked at my pictures I took before I removed them and I just feel stupid :angry7: I got it at this end and thank you for the offer :cheers:

-
Back