how to shave the gas cap on my demon

-
sorry couldn't resist

slicer.jpg

Usually when they shave something they weld in metal and delete the holes or openings....In your case, You would have to have another way to put gas in it....You have a fuel cell and access from the trunk?

I knew it. Ok maybe I should say how to eliminate the gas cap so it does not protrude out beyond the car. I already welded the side markers but I am now looking at that gas cap. By the way, I could use a nice meat slicer toooo
Usually when they shave something they weld in metal and delete the holes or openings....In your case, You would have to have another way to put gas in it....You have a fuel cell and access from the trunk?

I have a stock fuel tank with the filler tube coming out the quarter panel. I was looking for an idea to still use it, but keep the cap smooth to the sheetmetal somehow?

I guess you have a cap that is flush but the handle part protrudes out past the body? A picture would go a long way.....You can grind that off but then you will not be able to twist it to get it off.....You could always try to use some kind of inner flap over the hole and fit and weld on one of those fold open doors from brand X vehicle.....Of course you will still have a small bump out past the body to get your finger in......know what kind I mean? Or if you have to cut the neck back into the trunk and put a whole flush mount setup on from another brand x vehicle and just attach the two with short piece of rubber hose

Use a contour gauge on your quarter panel. Then find something at the u-pull-it that matches or is more concave. Many modern vehicles have the style with the finger hole or are totally flush and use a release. Weld it up and post some pics.

Use a contour gauge on your quarter panel. Then find something at the u-pull-it that matches or is more concave. Many modern vehicles have the style with the finger hole or are totally flush and use a release. Weld it up and post some pics.
The above with the cable release!

Actually some don't even need the cable. They work like a European drain stopper. Push to release.

Could you not inset the cap, and then get one that has a key to open, that would allow you to use the key to pull it off when you unlock the cap, or you could just open the hole that the filler tube mounts to all the way, and shorten the tube so it sits further into the quarter panel. Just spit balling here.

you can buy pop up gas caps with weld in bung. I've help other guys install it and it does look sweet. Flush mounted, just push on it and it pops up.
12.jpg

Any idea on what cars?
Off the top of my head...No. I had a rental car last year with one. Don't remember what. Just something they gave me at the airport.

Push to release, push to close. As long as the quarter is less convex than the Demon should be really easy. I'd cut a foot all around it to give plenty of room to blend it in. And of course take as much of the neck as possible.

Off the top of my head...No. I had a rental car last year with one. Don't remember what. Just something they gave me at the airport.

Push to release, push to close. As long as the quarter is less convex than the Demon should be really easy. I'd cut a foot all around it to give plenty of room to blend it in. And of course take as much of the neck as possible.
Ok. thanks.

FYI GM trucks use a small push popper. There quite cheap. I did this conversion on my canyon and got the popper from a Tahoe.

Riddler

mopar1a.jpg
I had a guy wittle up a aluminum one that fit flush, remove with the palm of the hand.Used the guts from the standard cap

anybody post pictures of how to shave the gas cap on my demon so it looks smooth???
I realize it's different car...mine is a 69 Dart GT, but we relocated the fuel filler and welded in place sheet metal. We relocated it to top of quarter panel and used a pop up style similar to what you would see on a motorcycle. We then shaved the gas cap itself to fit the contour of the quarter panel to virtually blend in.

It's an option...just have to be creative.

20161101_163223.jpg

I used a Hagan oval fuel door, it uses a magnetic spring loaded latch to pop open.
059.JPG

-
Back