How to stab a distributor

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
All right guys. Tomorrow is the day I sit the 383 in for the last time. I would like to know the proper way to put in a dist as far as #1 at top dead, etc, and what needs to line up or point to what after that. Thanks for the help.

The full answer is you want the no.1 plug wire towards the front of the car and bring the piston up on no.1 to the top on the compression stroke. verify this by bumping the starter with the plug out till it tries to blow your finger off the plug hole. then look at the damper and it should be near zero. you can use a socket on the damper bolt to turn it to dead zero. Then turn your distributor body till the rotor points dead at number 1 terminal on the cap. Verify you have clearance on the vacuumn canister to turn for setting timing and you will be close enough to start your engine.

My first answer didn't show; Pull all the plugs, put finger on #1 hole, to feel pressure, to make sure on firing TDC.

Ok. That sounds easy enough, I;ll see if I can get it right tomorrow.

Thanks!

set the dist where vacuum pot is where you want it, then move wires to where the need to be.

-
Back