How to straight Speedometer cluster in 1972 Dodge Demon?

-

Cubzy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for direction/steps to partially remove speedo cluster and straighten/level the cluster in the dash. Its currently sitting on a slope. Is it as simple as removing the 4 screws holding the cluster in place? How is the cluster secured in behind? Attached is a picture of what I'm referring to. From the picture it looks like I may need to lower the tachometer down out of the way. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm looking for direction/steps to partially remove speedo cluster and straighten/level the cluster in the dash. Its currently sitting on a slope. Is it as simple as removing the 4 screws holding the cluster in place? How is the cluster secured in behind? Attached is a picture of what I'm referring to. From the picture it looks like I may need to lower the tachometer down out of the way. Thanks in advance.
IMG_2938.JPG

The cluster needs to come out. Don't even bother trying to do it in the car - not enough room. By the time you unhook everything to get it far enough to work on it'll be out. Uunhook the battery, drop the column down, remove bezel screws, disconnect speedo cable, headlight switch, circuit board plug, wiper switch, couple of warning lights, ammeter wires, and it's out. Take the bezel face off from the steel housing and figure out why it is twisted - whether the mounting screws for the speedo part are loose or something else going on, like the rivets that hold the speedo face to the cable drive mechanism are loose (?). Anything is possible after 40 years. Good opportunity to clean the lenses while its apart, add a ground to the headlight switch.

BTW, look hard enough on some of these sites and you can download a free pdf file for a factory service manual for a 71 Demon.

The column and the way it mounts to the dash....after decades of people hanging on it, sun hitting it, heat, more leaning on it....the dash and cluster begin to sag.

My '67 , same....I have to stop myself from batching about it because it is 50 years old

The column and the way it mounts to the dash....after decades of people hanging on it, sun hitting it, heat, more leaning on it....the dash and cluster begin to sag.

My '67 , same....I have to stop myself from batching about it because it is 50 years old

Am I able to adjust to straighten up the speedo?

Am I able to adjust to straighten up the speedo?

You should be able to, there are two screws on the back of the speedo. Loosen them a bit and see of you can adjust it easily. There are three cardboard rings that isolate the turn indicators and brake indicator that might give you a little trouble. Just be gentle and it shouldnt be too bad.

-
Back