How to strip chrome?

-

oldguy

Reaction score
Guys, I need a little help. i want to strip the chrome off my bumpers. I know there is a chemical to do that but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

You can use muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid). I use it sometimes on ceramic flooring and its A LOT cheaper to get it from a pool store (used for treating water conditions) Make sure that 1. when you dilute it you ad water to the acid not the acid to the water. 2 you do the stripping away from anything else thats not painted yet finished metal. The fumes alone can damage metal finishes unless theres a TON of ventilation. Good luck!!

Isnt Muriatic Acid in some concrete cleaning materials also? I think I've used it to clean oil stains off of driveways

would sandblasting do the trick, or do you have to use chemicals to strip chrome?

Isnt Muriatic Acid in some concrete cleaning materials also? I think I've used it to clean oil stains off of driveways

Yes it is, but usually at very low concentration. Higher strength is used in concrete etching.

would sandblasting do the trick, or do you have to use chemicals to strip chrome?

Eventually, yes. A decent chrome job is actually more than one layer (at a minimum, nickel, copper, chrome) and you have to blast through all of it to get down to bare metal.

No one has mentioned yet that chrome shops can just dip your bumpers in their removal chemicals for a nominal fee.

No offense intended.

I think Badawg has it reversed, acid into water. Trust me, I have a degree in chemistry. You want the acid to cool, and it will, when added to water. If you add water to acid it can get very hot and spatter, especially if its really concentrated like 6 molar Hydrochloric acid - HCL - (muriatic is HCL btw). This is due to the heat of solution. Usually this concentration isn't what you can get at a hardware or pool supply anyway so the point is kind of mute. Do make sure to do this in a well ventilated area, the fumes are nasty. Keep in mind HCL will eat anything you drop it on except grease. clothes, shoes, concrete, plants etc. I'd use it in an area that you dont care what happens like over gravel. Use rubber gloves. Once you are happy with the removal, wash the part with strong detergent and dry it to prevent further rusting. Chemistry class is dismissed !

I use HCL regularly to clean rusted parts where there are no critical tolerances to be worried about. Works great.

No offense taken. I re-read what I wrote and even the principal of it doesnt make sense. Why would a pool store sell it to ADD to a pool if the acid has to go in first. Sorry for not taking my time and actually reading what I was typing. And thanks for setting it straight.

Thanx much guys! As soon as I read it I remembered muriatic acid! My older brother owned part of a chrome shop back in the early 60's and for the life of me I couldn't remember. I would have asked him but he lives in Minn and doesn't do email! LOL I do remember you have to be very careful with that stuff. I like the idea of taking it to a chrome shop so need to find one in the area. Should have thought of that myself! Duh! Once again, thanx. Mike

Oldguy, they would likely do it electrolytically with a sodium hydroxide-based solution.
Tom

Heres a training tip on chemicals for the novice. Grab a palm full of powdered laundry detergent , add a few drops of water and make a fist.
OK I'll go ahead and tell you , it will get hot ! Always add the chemical to the water.
A newbie splashed water into an open barrel of talalon powder at the textile mill I worked for. It burst into flames. The supervisor got burned pretty good as he rolled that barrel out of the plant on a hand truck. They were lucky the barrel was nearly empty.

-
Back