how to tell if dodge dart is a swinger?

-

moparenthuz

"Badass Swinger"
Reaction score
Bought a 1976 dodge dart last weekend. PO said it was a swinger but I have no idea. This is out first A body. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_2016-08-14-01-58-10.png

Screenshot_2016-08-14-01-58-22.png

put the vin number into a decoder, or look at a site that breaks it up and explains it for you...

My 1970 Dart is a "Custom" which that year was the high end model, but the next few years the "custom" was pretty much the 4 door sedan slant 6...

Anyways, the vin number will tell you, and it should say on the title...

Some years, swinger just meant 2 door hard top really...

If it wants to copulate with other makes, that might be an indication.

Sort of related... I began the process of licensing my car last week and the gal/clerk at the DMV choked when I told her it was a swinger. Also, the sheriff that verified my VIN got a big smile after he asked me the model.

The car isn't with me now but I will look at the fender tag when I get a chance. I looked up the vin. It just says 2 door hardtop high price class.

Welcome to FABO. You're in the right place to learn all there is to know about your Dart. Maybe pop into the welcome wagon and introduce yourself there.

In 76 a Dart custom would be a 4 door only.

Check your vin number ....if it starts with "LH23" then you have a swinger.

The car isn't with me now but I will look at the fender tag when I get a chance. I looked up the vin. It just says 2 door hardtop high price class.
My vin means

Dodge Dart ("A" Body)
High Price class
2 door hardtop
6 cylinder
Made in Windsor, Ontario , Canada

The remaining six digits indicate the sequence number (serial number)

For YOUR Car:

1976 Codes:

First Digit = Car Line

C - Chrysler

D - Dodge Monaco

L - Dodge Dart

N - Dodge Aspen

P - Plymouth Gran Fury

R - Plymouth Fury

S - Chrysler Cordoba

V - Plymouth Valiant

W - Dodge Coronet / Dodge Charger

X - Dodge Charger SE

Second Digit = Price Class

L - Low

M - Medium

H - High

P - Premium

S - Special

K - Police

Third and Fourth digits = Body Style

22 - 2 Door special coupe

23 - 2 Door hardtop

29 - 2 Door special coupe

41 - 4 Door sedan

43 - 4 Door hardtop

45 - 2 Seat wagon

46 - 3 Seat wagon

Fifth Digit = Engine

C - 225 1 - 1BBL 6 cylinder "RG" engine

E - Special order 6 cylinder

G - 318 1 - 2BBL 8 cylinder "LA" engine

J - 360 1 - 4BBL 8 cylinder "LA" engine

K - 360 1 - 2BBL 8 cylinder "LA" engine

L - 360 1 - 4BBL 8 cylinder "LA" engine (high performance)

M - 400 1 - 2BBL 8 cylinder "B" engine

N - 400 1 - 4BBL 8 cylinder "B" engine

P - 400 1 - 4BBL 8 cylinder "B" engine (high performance)

T - 440 1 - 4BBL 8 cylinder "RB" engine

U - 440 1 - 4BBL 8 cylinder "RB" engine (high performance)

Z - Special order 8 cylinder

Sixth digit = Model year

6 - 1976

Seventh Digit = Assembly plant

A - Lynch Road, MI

B - Hamtramck, MI

C - Jefferson, MI

D - Belvedere, IL

F - Newark, DE

G - St. Louis, MO

R - Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The remaining six digits indicate the sequence number (serial number)

Looks like yours has been primed but there should be a Swinger badge on the front fender rearward of the wheel opening. Looks like your has been removed.

Yup, that is all that makes it a swinger...
To be honest, I sort of hate the name swinger, now. Besides the obvious sexual connotation, I sort of wish it was more like "r/t" or "superbee" or " 'cuda " or "Scamp" or anything really...

I am sort of glad mine is a "Custom". My dad seems to think Customs are sort of low drawer, and they were the rest of the years, but in 1970 Custom was high end.

Mine had a/c and had lots of stupid chrome and such, with a vinyl top and swanky interior when it started its life...
But I am not going to restore any of that.

It is now a heavily modified and very "custom" Dart, and since I won't ever sell it, I suppose the only one I want to impress is me :)

So, I guess my car will will bear this badge with honor (which happens to be the only year that custom was not written out in cursive script) :)

custom.jpg

I have a 72 to 74 Govier,Chrysler Corp Production Option Code Book, and I know it doesn't apply to 76, but this is what it says;
the LL can apply, among others,to; 69 to 74 Darts,69/70 Swingers,71 to 74 Dart Swinger Specials,
the LM can apply,among others,to; 69/70 Dart Swinger 340s, all Demon/DartSports with 340s or 360s
the LH can apply,among others,to; 69 to 74 Dart Custom,71 to 74 Dart Swingers
So I have to conclude that Darts and Swingers might come in any of LL,LM,LH, but that, NO 71 to 74 models fell into LM
Further, one might conclude that a 71 to 74 Dart, could be;
an LLDart or an LLSwingerSpecial, or an LHDartCustom, or an LHDartSwinger

As to 75/76 I cannot say.

I have a 72 to 74 Govier,Chrysler Corp Production Option Code Book, and I know it doesn't apply to 76, but this is what it says;
the LL can apply, among others,to; 69 to 74 Darts,69/70 Swingers,71 to 74 Dart Swinger Specials,
the LM can apply,among others,to; 69/70 Dart Swinger 340s, all Demon/DartSports with 340s or 360s
the LH can apply,among others,to; 69 to 74 Dart Custom,71 to 74 Dart Swingers
So I have to conclude that Darts and Swingers might come in any of LL,LM,LH, but that, NO 71 to 74 models fell into LM
Further, one might conclude that a 71 to 74 Dart, could be;
an LLDart or an LLSwingerSpecial, or an LHDartCustom, or an LHDartSwinger

As to 75/76 I cannot say.
Yes, professor. That would seem to be an accurate conclusion...

-
Back