How to turn a hardtop into a covertible?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Ok, So i understand its hard and probably out of my league, but what is actually involved?
Obviously the unibody issue comes into play, but if you make decent subframe connectors, bascially turning it into a full chassis frame...that should take care of that issue, right?

Get a parts car with all the parts unique to the convertible version of your particular car still usable and in good shape, then be prepared to spend far more time and money than it's worth making what you could have bought.

I cant remember who, but some member is swapping a non convertible 70 chassis onto a pre 69 convert chassis. (maybe a 67) Its a ton of work, but he is pretty far along. i saw his thread in the last 6 months, a search may help...

JOE

You will need the well section from a donor car plus the rear windows and seat and the top mechanism and pistons.

I cant remember who, but some member is swapping a non convertible 70 chassis onto a pre 69 convert chassis. (maybe a 67) Its a ton of work, but he is pretty far along. i saw his thread in the last 6 months, a search may help...

JOE

x2

great build read- but i think the builder admits it is not quite worth it.

If you are not concerned with a functional top you have a lot more room to fudge. You could build it as a true "roadster" with no way of closing up the interior. I have thought of doing just that with some kind of cheapo econobox car. I think a mid 90s civic with the top chopped off and fabric snaps around the perimeter of the interior for a tonneau cover would make for a decent summer car. And really it isn't any worse than the horrible things ricers do to them thinking they are making a hot rod.

It likely isn't worth the effort and then the car is down and non drivable during the process. Plus you will have more rattles, noises, and leaks.

So y do u need to do all that? Why can't u find one of these companies that makes a kit, adapt it to fit the dart?
If I took s saw all to the dart roof, after building subframes, cut it off. What would happen?

If you just want a post 69 Dart convertible, I think I saw the yellow one the owner of Wildcat Auto Wrecking owns or used to own for sale not that long ago. Maybe they (Wildcat) could help you track it down. If not, a few polite questions about it's construction might be answered.

-
Back