how would this hood look best

-
another brain child hit me last night- since there is rust on the scooped hood and i cant afford a new one at this time- what cha think about cutting the bulges outta the scooped hood and welding to my flat hood.
the gts or swinger look is really what i want any way- do ya think this is cost effective or do ya think it may cause problems- then i will have a scoop for sale.

another brain child hit me last night- since there is rust on the scooped hood and i cant afford a new one at this time- what cha think about cutting the bulges outta the scooped hood and welding to my flat hood.
the gts or swinger look is really what i want any way- do ya think this is cost effective or do ya think it may cause problems- then i will have a scoop for sale.

I think your only cost effective option is getting a good hood. Unless you are very talented with a welder you most likely end up with 2 bad hoods if you try grafting the scoops on your existing hood.

Its alot of work grafting scoops onto hoods period. SEM and fusior make good products to attach fiberglass to steel. As far as welding the steel scoops on, well it will be almost impossible not to warp the hood in that process. After they are on good there will also be ALOT of time doing the filler work. It's sort of what ever look you are after and if you want to do the work. I sort of like the 6 pack scoop on the buldge hood, but grind that old bondo out and clean the rust out first. Make sure the scoop is attached good and tight so it is not going to move or the filler will always crack again.
Matt

The guy that is doing the body work on my car was concerned with bonding a scoop onto a hood, he had me get a hood with the scoop formed into the hood when it was poured. He recently finished a friends car. From what I understand, if the material you use to bond the scoop onto the exisitng hood is not identical to the hood or scoop, it is going to crack. But then again, what the hell do I know......if it were me I would paint it flat black, at least you will be able to repair the cracks (if it does) and respray it without spending a ton of $$$ on it.

Agreed 100% It is not the best idea no matter what when you try to add a differnt product to another. Like putting a fiberglass scoop onto a metal hood as they move differnt. Like your body man said Just buy a hood with the scoop already on it. What I was getting at this fellow has swapped for this hood, and I was just saying to use it I would at least take the old bondo out and clean the rust off. There will always be a chance of it cracking this way , but if you do it the best you can with good quality stuff it will last alot better. Just for an example my brother bought a steel hood for a 64 Galaxie with a fiberglass teardrop scoop grafted onto it. The scoop was attached using pop rivets and just bondo. It was cracked all the way around from the scoop moving differnet than the hood and water being able to get inside and under the bondo. I ground it all out took the scoop up. Used a fusior adhesive for glueing fiberglass or smc to steel parts. Once it was dry I used duraglass first around the scoop and then went to bondo and then finished it out with putty before I primmered it. He had the car for a bout 3 more years before he sold the car and it had never cracked back out.
Matt

I say sunfire yellow,

Or if you go black, at least carry the black up onto the cowl like on your old green car.
I really dont like the look of just a black hood on a different color car.

I think the buldge hood looks ok with the sixpack scoop. I wouldn't have done that to a buldge hood, but since its done, and it didnt cost you much, I say, paint it and use it !.

I went with a reproduction buldge hood, and they are pretty pricey so I can see you wanting to save money. Mine will be body color as soon as I get my paint done.

Attachments

• darthood.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 178
If you wanted to paint it body color and your car is base / clear, it would not be that much more work to break the paint on the sharpe edge or bodyline of the fenders. If it was me i guess I would take in the tops of the fenders and the cowl panel as it has a good place to break the paint at the vinyl top trim. 3m and other make foam tape to help mask off and leave a minimal edge. Just don't put alot of material at your break, and alittle buffing I don't think you could tell it.
Just my 2 cents, Matt

If you wanted to paint it body color and your car is base / clear, it would not be that much more work to break the paint on the sharpe edge or bodyline of the fenders. If it was me i guess I would take in the tops of the fenders and the cowl panel as it has a good place to break the paint at the vinyl top trim. 3m and other make foam tape to help mask off and leave a minimal edge. Just don't put alot of material at your break, and alittle buffing I don't think you could tell it.
Just my 2 cents, Matt

it is base clear, thanks to all for your imput

save and just buy a hood. i think the scoop looks goofy on that hood. it may look ok on a flat hood but not on that hood.

as far as welding the bulges into a flat hood. its a ton of work. and to keep the hoof flat is even more work. it well worth saving for a new hood in my opinion.

39631078.jpg

39631075.jpg

39631074.jpg

39631072.jpg

39631069.jpg

39631060.jpg

39631051.jpg

39631060.jpg

save and just buy a hood. i think the scoop looks goofy on that hood. it may look ok on a flat hood but not on that hood.

as far as welding the bulges into a flat hood. its a ton of work. and to keep the hoof flat is even more work. it well worth saving for a new hood in my opinion.

39631078.jpg

39631075.jpg

39631074.jpg

39631072.jpg

39631069.jpg

39631060.jpg

39631051.jpg

39631060.jpg

I see it can be done and looks very nice

after long debate i have decided to fix the new hood and paint it y2 sunfire yellow ,
stay tuned for how it turns out.

I'd say black with pins it looks good and the flat black on the hood is a mopar thing so u should go matte black with the pins like u already thought of.. By the way the hood looks b*****n with the scoop and bulges..

I'd say black with pins it looks good and the flat black on the hood is a mopar thing so u should go matte black with the pins like u already thought of.. By the way the hood looks b*****n with the scoop and bulges..
wait til you see what i do with the hood inserts, poor man's special

-
Back