HP increase with cam

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of other variable/details but generally speaking, what kind of hp increase might be expected with mild racing cam, Edelbrock 383 performer intake, 650 4bbl dblepmpr, - over stock set-up on this otherwise stock '68 383 Barracuda conv..? what was factory HP #?
thnx

I know there are a lot of other variable/details but generally speaking, what kind of hp increase might be expected with mild racing cam, Edelbrock 383 performer intake, 650 4bbl dblepmpr, - over stock set-up on this otherwise stock '68 383 Barracuda conv..? what was factory HP #?
thnx
Factory I believe was 335~ , with the right cam, intake a carb set up, it's reasonable to expect a 50-75 hp gain

thnx
And personally on a B series engine, the Holley street dominater intake is a much better choice in my opinion. If you can find one

yes thanks - thanks for sticking your neck out with a comment on a pretty open-ended question.
CAM detail FWIW:
Manufacturer's Part Number: SUM-6401
Part Type:
Product Line:
Summit Racing Part Number: SUM-6401
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 234
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./234 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 298
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 303
Advertised Duration: 298 int./303 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.466 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.466 int./0.488 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 114
Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt
Computer-Controlled Compatible: No
Valve Springs Required: Yes
Camshaft Manufacturers Description: Fair idle, good midrange power camshaft. Requires 9.5:1 and higher compression, 2,000+ stall, and gearing. Good mild bracket racing cam.

Factory I believe was 335~ , with the right cam, intake a carb set up, it's reasonable to expect a 50-75 hp gain
'68 A body 383 was 300 hp, due to restrictive exhaust. Slightly more than '67 but still less than equivalent B body 383-4.

And personally on a B series engine, the Holley street dominater intake is a much better choice in my opinion. If you can find one

Totally agree, love the Street Dominator on B and RB.

thnx

Your best improvement will be headers, but adding intake/carb/cam will really wake it up.

Camshaft only, probably around 15-30 HP with a smart choice.

Camshaft only, probably around 15-30 HP with a smart choice.

x2. The exhaust manifolding really sucks on these cars. That being the case you might gain more with a custom cam designed for terrible exhaust flow. The intake and carb are not really that bad from the factory - and I would not put a double pump carb on it unless it's a 4sp.

- and I would not put a double pump carb on it unless it's a 4sp.

I think that's one point that the MP engine book got right. There are exceptions, of course.

-
Back