Hub outer race seat.

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
Here's one for all of you !!! My 68 dart has 9 in. frt. drums. stock height. centerlines 14x 6 on frt. Suspension is tight ,no excessive camber. The out race seat on the rt. frt. is stretching , making the race bearing move around inside. Iv'e replaced bearings and races twice, staked the outer race well!! Both times and within 30 miles city driving, it's making growling noises and I can feel it moving when turning. Also the tire/wheel is leaned in when parked. Why ???? Is this common ?????

Here's one for all of you !!! My 68 dart has 9 in. frt. drums. stock height. centerlines 14x 6 on frt. Suspension is tight ,no excessive camber. The out race seat on the rt. frt. is stretching , making the race bearing move around inside. Iv'e replaced bearings and races twice, staked the outer race well!! Both times and within 30 miles city driving, it's making growling noises and I can feel it moving when turning. Also the tire/wheel is leaned in when parked. Why ???? Is this common ?????

It shouldn't be leaning if the bearings are good. How about parking it on a level surface, take some pictures and post them so members can have an accurate idea of what you have?

Staked the outer race? Why?
Almost sounds like you have an undersized spindle diameter for those bearings, unless bearing preload is not properly set.

It sounds like the hub is worn out where the bearing race rides. Best to replace the hub IMO

Dang, Within 30 miles sounds like no grease.
Have you cleaned the spindle and inspected it ?
If there is a shoulder in the spindle beneath the outer bearings inner race, you wouldn't see it unless the car is up on a lift. That bearing may stop short of seated or sit crocked in the race. Good luck with it.

-
Back