Hub Troubles on my Cuda

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Man, workin' out the bugs in these old beasts is nerve rackin' sometimes.......

I had a mechanic recently change my front bearings (67 Cuda) and the Pitman and Idler. He said he had to replace 2 studs while he was there.....I discovered why too....(after I asked if he KNEW the old Mopars, and he said "no worries").....it appears that he tried to force the air wrench to get the left handed nuts off BACKWARDS and snapped them....then had to heat, pound and replace).

Well, I ordered new front drums (the old are a little thin and warped a bit) and shoes, and opened it up today.........

The Bozo's heated my old drum to get the old studs out because it was stuck fast to the hub (rust and age).....they warped the drum and ruined it....so new drums I thought would be the ticket to smooth out my braking........(I can't believe I paid HIM.....seems backward to me).

When I finally loosened the old hub from the drum, I found that previously, in another lifetime, someone had hammered the crud out of the hub for some reason...........I put it in the vise and eyed it, and couldn't believe my eyes......someone has taken the inside of the hub (and it's THICK!) and pounded it so stinking hard, with heat, that the hub has a considerable runout.........(I've never seen one like this before.................gee, I said that before).

I mounted it up to be sure, and sure enough, the hub is the major problem. Unless I replace it, it's gonna keep wobblin' no matter what I do I guess.

Needless to say, I NEED one......a good one........and they're like hen's teeth........I'm hopin' FABO is the place to find it.

I posted it in wanted parts........sure hope someone has it.

I spent 2 hours monkeying with that hub.......sometimes it don't pay to get out of bed.

I don't have one, but.....Have you considered a disc brake setup instead? It would be much easier and a much nicer/safer alternative to drum brakes....

I think everyone has considered it.........Too expensive, and not enough time......which means even more expense (labor rates).

-
Back