Hughes whiplash cams?

-

dartkory

Reaction score
So I'm not to happy with my comp cam and have been looking at a different choice and I'm highly considering the whiplash cam. I called Hughes and they said they would recommend using the 340/360 cam since I have 10:1 compression and aluminum heads. Has anyone used this cam and how did it perform? My eddy heads say they can take up to .525 lift and the whiplash cam is at .518 will this be ok? According to the Hughes guy this cam is really gaining in popularity and is an amazing cam! What do you all think?

What are the specs on your current cam and what don't you like about it?

It's the 275DEH comp cam. Don't know all the specs. It's around .480 lift I believe. It's really not too bad of a cam its just more of a top end cam. When I bought it a while back I mainly wanted it because of the choppy idle but now that I'm getting my motor decently built for some performance I feel a cam with lower and mid range torque would be more appropriate and if I can get that with the nice choppy idle then that would be great!

It was suggested to me by more than one person to go with a Whiplash cam when it was time due to performance, reliabilty plus they help out giving you the right cam with what you are trying to build. I am running Hughes' 3742AL cam (.548" lift, 237 duration, 108 LSA) in my 416 stroker, 9.8 compression, eddy aluminum heads, eddy air gap intake and 850 Holley DP. This was the cam Hughes suggested with my combination. They said mated to a 4-spd I'll get great low end torque but will pull hard through the gears. I just got the motor running so I haven't driven it yet. But it definitely has a choppy idle. This will be a weekend cruiser with occasional trips to the track. I wanted a good street light-to-street light racer. May not be the answer you are looking for but its just some feedback on my experience with them.

That's an excellent grind you have already. Maybe something else is amiss.

Everything runs great. It can light em up and it screams top end but that's why I would like to change cams, because I don't like needing to take it up to 6500. I would prefer it to pull more off the line then way up top. And crackedback I just installed it at zero

I wouldn't be surprised if the cam is installed retarded if you lined up dots.

IIRC, you've had a bunch of prior issues tuning this thing.

First it was the pertronix in my distributor, then coil, then carb. Now everything is good except it could use a little more pull in the bottom end. But anyways is there anyone out there that has ran this cam? I'm just curious if they liked it. So is advancing my DEH cam a good idea?

Yeah. My friend Charles has it in the 383 in his rat truck. It runs like all hell. I'm familiar with it or I would not have commented. It's a good grind. Arguably better than the whiplash. Probably just needs to be advanced a few degrees.

I live less than 10 miles from Hughes and I do not buy any of his garbage.I know of too many cam and engine failures coming out of his shop.I had two of his cams go bad and Dave Hughes himself installed the 2nd one.I have used and broke in many other name brand cams and never had a issue withant of them,only with Hughes garbage.

Jim

As others have suggested already. You really need to degree in this cam (any cam) for best performance. You can see night and day differences in performance depending on where a cam is installed. Spend your money on a 9 key way timing chain set and a degree wheel.

I agree.....but yall are gonna make the guy spend money he doesn't need to. he's already got smoke comin outta his ears tryin to take it all in. He's gotta good cam. Can he have a better one? Maybe, but all he NEEDS for his car to burn it up is a converter and gears. That's it.

Howards Cams has some very nice 904 grinds....

the Best...must have tested all and every camshaft...to be called the BEST...LOL

I think Comp cams and Lunati cams suck for mopars but this is my opinion.I have made more with other cams.When looking for cams and troubleshooting problems my advise is go to the cam company and talk to them.Thats where you will get the best advise from.A lot of people learn the hard way and after spending a lot of money ends up doing this anyway. Mark

Howards Cams has some very nice 904 grinds....

the Best...must have tested all and every camshaft...to be called the BEST...LOL

Im an engine builder, thas all I do, thats how I pay my bills. I have been doing it for 20 years. I HAVE run just about every single cam companies camshafts. And Yes the VOODOO cams have made me the most overall power. Good top end without taking away the bottom or mid range torque like most other cams and vise versa.

I HAVE not seem it all, so to speak, but I HAVE seen a lot more than most. And I Do Know What Im Talking About.

Rant over ;)

Mike. Just one name man. Harold Brookshire! lol

The Comp version of the purple 508 that was in my stroker was a pretty good hydraulic cam. Had the idle and would pull nice and strong from 2500 which was a good match for the converter I had and the speeds I drove around in with the 3.91 gears (45 MPH out in the country). Mileage wasn't nothing to write home about but maybe my foot had something to do with that.

I still have the cam, it is in great shape. Sell it with new Comp hyd lifters for $150 + the ride. I put in a Voodoo but haven't run it yet (no car).

I hope you ain't backin up. That Comp has MoPar specific lobes. None of the rest of their grinds do, but those do.

-
Back