huhges lifters....again

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
got the hughes retro fit hydraulic roller lifters and custom cam. set preload according to supplied instructions and were noisy. rang hughes and was told 0 lash + 1 turn. did this, still noisy.
can i give them another 1/4 turn.

I'm gonna go out on a limb..........is it possible that rockers are hitting inside of valve covers? Stranger stuff happens........

I'm gonna go out on a limb..........is it possible that rockers are hitting inside of valve covers? Stranger stuff happens........
no, nothing hitting, rubbing or the likes. read other threads here about these lifters being noisy. something was said about the more preload the better.
not had any experience with roller cams till now so what seems noisy to me may seem normal to the initiated.

On your adjusters.........How much thread is showing? How is your geometry?

Try another 1/4 turn, see what happens....

what rockers do you have?
I've heard some louder noises from hydralics
with the solid spacers used in most aftermarket roller rockers

I'm using Hughes hydraulic roller cam, roller lifters, pushrods and roller aluminum rockers. Indy RHS X cyl heads, No noise, just as stock. Set everything as per Hughes spec.

Try more preload. But some blocks just have worn lifter bores and some hydraulic lifters may be a little noisey. If it performs well and no other signs of problems exist then it's fine.

Try more preload. But some blocks just have worn lifter bores and some hydraulic lifters may be a little noisey. If it performs well and no other signs of problems exist then it's fine.
don`t get overly concerned if everything checks out right. tighten them down a hair more than they recommend (not much), and don`t worry about it. I had the same problem w/ a 406 sbc. tightening them down a hair helped, but I ended up going to a solid roller and it was quieter !

i run the stock hydraulic roller lifters and use .080" Preload as per Hughes specs....no noise at all.

Michael

rockers are Crane roller. it was mentioned that i will have more valve train noise as i have one of their custom cams which have fast ramp rates.
everything seems to be ok apart from valve train noise.

result...just gave them another 1/4 turn and much quieter. total 1 1/4 turns from 0 lash.

-
Back