I am at my wits end.

-
Congratulations Jack! It is always good to see someone keep their cool while trouble shooting a frustrating problem.

I also learned a lot of new information from our FABO brothers who contributed their suggestions and experiences.

This is for everyone :thumbup:

When I seen his bolts I knew I was on to something. I had the same problem in the 13 to 1 360 I built 10 years ago for my bracket car.

Yeah, I'm sure they've never heard of that happening to anybody else before:banghead: :wack:

Something tells me they have heard of this problem many times. A lot of the time the manufacturers will say let the maker of the other part change their design, our product is good the way it is.

Jack

This is some frustrating. I had oil pressure. I fired the engine and the most oil pressure I got was 25 psi. The engine started warming up and the pressure started going down. It got down to 10 psi and I shut it down. That took 15 minutes. I check the passenger side rockers and the were getting lots of oil. The engine temp never got above 160 but I had the fans on high. I am going to pull the oil pan and have a look at the oil pump again. Maybe I didn't clearance it enough. At least I know where to look and it is not a big deal to do. I can leave the top of the engine on.

Jack

id get rid of those arp oil pump bolts and just use stock units, or grade 8 if the stock units arnt grade 8 already...

I finally had some success. I took the oil pan and oil pump off again. The oil pump was fine but the oil pump drive shaft was broken right at the top of the fitting on the oil pump. Luckily I had a spare. I also used a couple of stock bolts on the rear main just to make sure there were no more problems. I checked a couple of the mains to see if there was any damage to the bearings and they look great. I reassembled everything and turned the key. It fired before the engine turned one turn. My oil pressure is rock solid at 56 psi. I finished breaking the cam in, cured a couple of small fuel fitting leaks and called it a day.

Jack

Are you running an HV pump? If so, you better get a hardened intermediate shaft in there, or it'll break it again.

Hmm. I hope you inspected that pump REAL good. Something had to cause that. Usually with a stock pump it's something that causes the pump to lock up.

Congrats Jack!As RRR said, was the pump taken apart and inspected before installation? Ive heard even new ones should be peeled apart and cleaned

I did take it apart. There was nothing wrong with it. Here is what I figured happened, the ARP bolt was causing the oil pump to be misaligned, this in turn put a sideways force on the intermediate shaft. It was weakened to the point that once it was turning the pump properly and pumping oil it snapped part way down in the pump drive. That is why I had oil pressure at first, as the shaft continued to spin it got worse and worse until finally I had to shut the engine down with only 10 psi of pressure. Everything seems good now.

Jack

Congratulations Jack :cheers: seeing these posts this evening sure made me a happy member here, now you can enjoy seeing and hearing all your hard work run and sounding great I bet :D I knew it was in good hands :cheers:

I did take it apart. There was nothing wrong with it. Here is what I figured happened, the ARP bolt was causing the oil pump to be misaligned, this in turn put a sideways force on the intermediate shaft. It was weakened to the point that once it was turning the pump properly and pumping oil it snapped part way down in the pump drive. That is why I had oil pressure at first, as the shaft continued to spin it got worse and worse until finally I had to shut the engine down with only 10 psi of pressure. Everything seems good now.

Jack

Exactly what I was thinking.

-
Back