I am so sick of having fuel leaks

-

Lars

Reaction score
In reference to this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=47825

I finally got tired of chasing leaks every couple of weeks, and the final straw was the gaskets started leaking again on the fuel pump. So I ordered a new pump and now the fittings are seeping fuel on the in port and out port. I had this problem on the old one and used some of that liquid Teflon stuff to seal it up, it seemed to be OK on the old pump, but the instructions stated not to put anything on the threads, so I didn't. I'm using the same Carter pump (just a new one), do you guys normally have to put anything on the threads? They are "supposed" to be compression fittings. :mad:

Just to make sure we're on the same page: Mechanical pump? You've got male NPT pipe/inverted flare fittings that thread into the body of the pump, right? You can use teflon sealer on the pipe threads that screw into the body of the pump. The inverted flare side should not use any sealers. Use two flare nut wrenches to tighten the nut (fuel line) to the fitting.

Recently I had trouble with a couple of leaky flare fittings on a carb - everything was new. I lubed the threads and the flare mating surfaces with a little petroleum jelly. Snugged them down again - problem solved.

Yeah, mech Carter pump. Has a brass barb to 1/4 NPT on the inlet, and a 1/4 NPT to -6AN on the outlet.

Use telfon tape or paste on the npt fittings, it should not leak after that's been done.

I'd just use the teflon dope and don't put it on the first 2 threads of the fitting then the teflon won't get pushed into the pump. You got to be careful using teflon tape on these pot metal (crappy grade of aluminum) pump housings cuzz if you put to much on the fitting as you tighten the fitting into the housing the tape can generate a lot of force and actually crack the threaded hole. Ask me how I know.

Also have a look at the sealing face of the fuel line flare that mates to the NPT to flare fitting. The flaring tool will sometimes leave a tiny ridge across the sealing face and you'll never get it to seal.

Terry

Also have a look at the sealing face of the fuel line flare that mates to the NPT to flare fitting. Terry

It should be a double flare, single flares never seal right. Also, an AN flare is 37 degrees and a standard flare is 45. Be sure you're not trying to seal the hard line to an AN to NPT fitting.

Google search a product called "SWAK" or "Swagelok" who sells it, it's a liquid teflon and will seal a NPT thread to 10,000 psi, I ain't joking, and buy a tube.

Terry

Demonseed is on it! The Permatex stuff works well too. Make sure the threads are clean and dry before applying and don't apply to the first couple threads.

-
Back