I counted my small block stash today.

-
Sometimes we find things we forgot we had. I have a 440 block that I didn’t count that a friend may take away. It’s the stock bore 440 (1971) that I think is an HP block. The junkyard idiot ya led it out with a high lift and tore a hole in the block. I was going to bring it down and weld a plate on it but I never needed it. His welder said he could repair it so that’s better than scraping it.

View attachment 1716109816

View attachment 1716109817

View attachment 1716109818

View attachment 1716109819

View attachment 1716109820
Never ceases to amaze me how bad simple stuff gets messed up.

Around 2003 I was looking for a 360 and found one still in an old Dodge pickup truck that looked really clean, really nice. I think it was a 1976 model year truck. The yard said they would have it out the next day for me. When I returned the hood, fenders, and windshield were destroyed. The engine was out but one of the exhaust manifolds was broken. It was loaded into my truck with an excavator, and the old Dodge looked like they scooped the engine out with that excavator. Really makes me wish I had tried to get the whole truck just to save it.

Never ceases to amaze me how bad simple stuff gets messed up.

Around 2003 I was looking for a 360 and found one still in an old Dodge pickup truck that looked really clean, really nice. I think it was a 1976 model year truck. The yard said they would have it out the next day for me. When I returned the hood, fenders, and windshield were destroyed. The engine was out but one of the exhaust manifolds was broken. It was loaded into my truck with an excavator, and the old Dodge looked like they scooped the engine out with that excavator. Really makes me wish I had tried to get the whole truck just to save it.

Ya some guys Dont mess around. I got it, rip

Very interesting thread. I have 0 blocks. I want to build an engine, then drop it in my 72 Scamp. The idea is (was ... really) to build a big inch small block. At least that's what my idea was. I'm nearing the point of retiring. And when I do, building an engine is going to be one of the things I will want to do.

Fo' real, if any of you guys wanted to get rid of a block, I'd be willing to buy it. Not looking for a handout.

Not really sure where you are from but my suggestion would be to start looking now so you Dont have to pay top dollar. Deals are out there, at least in my area but you have to keep your eyes open and jump when you see them listed. If you ask for twenty pictures, try to barter to save 10.00 someone is going to be on his way in his truck to pick it up.

Very interesting thread. I have 0 blocks. I want to build an engine, then drop it in my 72 Scamp. The idea is (was ... really) to build a big inch small block. At least that's what my idea was. I'm nearing the point of retiring. And when I do, building an engine is going to be one of the things I will want to do.

Fo' real, if any of you guys wanted to get rid of a block, I'd be willing to buy it. Not looking for a handout.
When you are ready, just start with a 360 block as they are still fairly cheap and accessible for the guys that actually want to do the assembly work.

This was a quick five minute search in my area. Not the best deal But if someone needed both an engine and transmission it’s not a crazy bad deal. All it takes is a little research and search with different search words (360, small block Mopar, Mopar engines, etc).

7A848373-2C3B-46FA-8A67-10CC0A50CACD.jpeg

9036414A-2C58-4896-A8EC-7E226183C0CB.jpeg

AB4F2491-99A4-4DAE-B955-8A8D49082D16.jpeg

Guess I'm chump change...only a spare LA360, the 383 from my 69 Charger, a couple of SB 727's, and 440 and 360 spare cranks. Running are my 440 in the Charger (well, actually has been sitting many years), the 340 in the 71 Demon, and the 408 in the avatar 72 Demon.

My dad and I liquidated about everything 10+ years ago. Turned that $$$ into our W8 build. Presently we have 2 good/running engines and 2 904 race transmissions. Still have a ”598” intake I don’t need and a couple of small block timing covers. I think at our height of collecting I had 6 complete 340’s from my air force days (late 80s) in North Dakota which was a huge mopar country. Never paid more than $250 for any of them. Also 2 68 440 blocks and 1 early 400 block. Numerous intakes including a complete small block 6 pak set up.

Only 3 blocks stashed (SB, slant, M-B) and a few crankshafts, but much other "old junk" to wifey. Amazing how it turns to gold when you need it, and how you run out then another treasure hunt. But when you try to sell excess parts, even pristine collectibles at cheap price, it can take years to find a buyer.
As a good Mopar bud says and I quote "Everytime I have to buy a part, it is GOLD plated and when I need to sell a part you would think its a chit coverd worthless turd!"

What’s so special about the R3 block?

….back in the last of the good ole days. $2000 at work. Mopar had a plethora of race blocks available for the small block crowd. Too bad I could finally afford some of this stuff about the time the plug got pulled.

IMG_2459.jpeg

Different degree lifter holes, needs W2 heads.

What do they sell for now days?

Like I said this is a subject that need reading up on. Different angles, different deck heights, etc. W2, W7, W8,W9 heads available but you have to do your research.

There is two different hydraulic roller 360 LA engines in four wheel drive trucks right now at US Auto in Sterling Heights. They are probably going to be cycled out of the yard by Monday, so get them while you can. I have no money or space for more stuff I won't get around to using or I would have already pulled them.

Last edited:
I might have a decade or so ago, had the car since 1995. Maybe I only listed it on the forum in Moparts...

-
Back