I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp that's been sitting for 25+ years, how much is it worth?

-
Please don't be upset with some of the answers. Our members are just trying to be honest.
I won't quote everything you said but thank you very much. I'd say I'm pretty good at auto detailing so I will clean this thing up as best as I can. I'm not the best mechanic in the world but I'm 90% sure I can get this thing up and running again.
From what I see it has AC , 3 speed wipers and turn indicators on the fender. So it could have some nice options. Just what is visible if the car is rot free and the interior is nice 10K. If it has nice bucket seat interior with other options 15K. Get it out , Wash it and Post more pictures. Start High you can always reduce the price. Put it on this site and I am sure it will sell. 1972 is the last of the nice Scamps
Wow $10K? I was thinking maybe $2-4,000 for this thing. You just gave me a huge incentive to put some work into this car.

And a big thank you to everyone else that replied to this thread. I'm gonna pull this thing out and get to working on it. I'll post a new thread with better pictures and an update soon.

You definitely came to the right place to find a buyer. Your grandpa was a cool car guy from the looks of the garage!!
Thanks, he was definitely a cool guy. He had a used car lot in the 80's-90's and always had all kinds of cool cars he bought and sold. By far my favorite was his 1950's Ford Fairlane retractable. He ended up selling it years before he passed away.

IMG_0127.JPG

facts that hold true: if it runs, the price goes up. way up. the more complete the easier the sale. the cleaner the better. in certain locations current tags and title matter a lot.

pull it out, piece it together, clean it up, make it run. post up TONS of pics and a reasonable price. run the comps and see what other cars are selling for and frame your asking price based off that.

Projects that don't run are hard sells for much money.
Needs good title.
Pull off the vinyl top so people can see it is not rusted with holes.
Meet the above and I will guess $2500-3500.

It appears that someone got happy with the red paint.

I won't quote everything you said but thank you very much. I'd say I'm pretty good at auto detailing so I will clean this thing up as best as I can. I'm not the best mechanic in the world but I'm 90% sure I can get this thing up and running again.

Wow $10K? I was thinking maybe $2-4,000 for this thing. You just gave me a huge incentive to put some work into this car.

And a big thank you to everyone else that replied to this thread. I'm gonna pull this thing out and get to working on it. I'll post a new thread with better pictures and an update soon.
Sounds like you’re going to do what been recommended by pulling the car out, detailing it and try to get it running before taking a lot of pictures! Great plan!

As you see in this thread you’ve got one member suggesting $10k minimum and another suggesting $2.5k minimum. That’s a huge swing. Putting that grunt work into getting quality pictures will help narrow that swing.

Last edited:
1972 was the last year for beautifulness....I think.....73 and up is growing on me fast though....

So today I got to work and I am beyond disbelief. I started with the tires to at least get it rolling, all 4 were completely flat with huge cracks in them, thinking no way in hell any of them would hold any air. Put air in all 4 and surprisingly all of them held air. Next I wanted to make sure the engine wasn't seized up so I cranked on the fan a bit and it rotated just fine. Checked the oil and trans fluid and both were still full. I then hooked up a good battery, turned the key and it started cranking just fine. Popped off the air cleaner and sprayed some starting juice down the carb. And I **** you not within 5 seconds this car fired right up and idled for a good minute before I turned it off. I have absolutely no idea how the engine ran on whatever gas was in the tank.

I put it in drive and pulled it out the shop it's been sitting in for 25+ years. I drove it up and down the gravel road doing 5MPH, threw it in reverse and that also works. I turned it on and off several times and it fires up first time right away. The brakes don't work at all, the master cylinder was bone dry. Threw some brake fluid in and starting pumping. The rear brakes were taking fluid, the fronts were not. As of now they still don't work, but the ebrake does.

I gave it a quick bath and the paint is in pretty decent shape, a few dings here and there, and its spider web cracked pretty good by the rear window, about softball sized. I searched forever for the front bumper, but I can't find it anywhere. Next weekend I'm gonna clean the interior. The engine bay is also very dirty but I didn't want to take a hose to that just yet. Does anyone have any tips on washing it without hurting anything?

Very happy today with the way things turned out. I'm not a religious guy at all, but I got to think Grandpa was looking down on me today and gave me some good luck. Here's some more pictures.

20230812_145535.jpg

20230812_145545.jpg

20230812_151834.jpg

20230812_154743.jpg

20230812_154754.jpg

20230812_154802.jpg

20230812_154813.jpg

20230812_154817.jpg

20230812_154836.jpg

20230812_154847.jpg

I forgot to add my Uncle helped me out today and knows a bit about the car. The odometer shows 89,300 miles but said the original motor had blown up. Him and my grandpa found a totaled out Duster, pulled the motor from that and put it in this car.

I would venture to say you have a fairly rust free body there. Rockers, quarters and fenders all look good. Inner fenders look good. Fender tops look good. I would bet 25cents the frame rails are mint and the crossmember is as well. The only place to look closer would be the roof under the vinyl at the lower edges. Tombstone bench seat. Does it have a fold down arm rest in the middle? You have a great candidate there. Grandpa left you a really good A-body.

I would venture to say you have a fairly rust free body there. Rockers, quarters and fenders all look good. Inner fenders look good. Fender tops look good. I would bet 25cents the frame rails are mint and the crossmember is as well. The only place to look closer would be the roof under the vinyl at the lower edges. You have a great candidate there. Grandpa left you a really good A-body.
I did not inspect for rust at all today but I will next time I work on it. How much you wanna buy it for?!?

I did not inspect for rust at all today but I will next time I work on it. How much you wanna buy it for?!?
LOL, I'm across the line which ads stupidity to any deal. But you will find an American buyer for that old girl no problem. It looks like grandpa saved a good one.

I like your thought of your Grandpa looking down on you today while you were cleaning up one of his cars!

He looked down on you ensuring it was a relatively straight forward day. He didn’t let you off totally easy since it’s still a mystery why it’s missing most of the front trim for the car!

I like your thought of your Grandpa looking down on you today while you were cleaning up one of his cars!

He looked down on you ensuring it was a relatively straight forward day. He didn’t let you off totally easy since it’s still a mystery why it’s missing most of the front trim for the car!
Haha, ya he did give me a small challenge. I searched his shop, garage, and shed and could not find the thing. The grill is in the back seat, but I could not find that damn bumper.

Gdrill did not offer to buy the car and this is not a sale thread. Offers to buy and sell will be deleted and/ or the thread deleted.

Looks like a solid car. Finding front end parts isn't a big issue it just takes a little patience snd some cash.

Great work. Drain the tank and put fresh gas in ASAP. AND put in a new gas filter. It looks pretty good.

-
Back