I have a question about bolts

-

yogibear7

Reaction score
hey guys,
So I think I may have briefly asked about bolts in a past post but I have another question. I have a 318 and we are putting chrome pulleys, chrome brackets,and chrome alternators. I know that you can't put stainless bolts because they're very brittle. The block is painted a gold and we are trying to find a company that sells particular bolts that are grade 8 bolts that has a chrome look to them. Anybody have any suggestions?

fastenal might have some, i usually get specialty nuts and bolts there. did a web search and found a place called dmpfasteners.com, but ive never actually bought from them.

Stainless steel is an alloy,steel with nickel added.
Nickel is not overly hard and any stainless bolt will be as strong or hard as the steel the nickel was added to.
..if you have stainless i'd use them.

I think the cheap "Stainess Steel" bolts often found in hardware stores may be weaker than the standard Grade 5 bolts in regular steel. However, bolts made from stainless steel that are heat treated and the correct grade, such as what ARP makes, are plenty strong. One thing with stainless hardware is that you must use a little anti-gall on the threads.

I think the cheap "Stainess Steel" bolts often found in hardware stores may be weaker than the standard Grade 5 bolts in regular steel. However, bolts made from stainless steel that are heat treated and the correct grade, such as what ARP makes, are plenty strong. One thing with stainless hardware is that you must use a little anti-gall on the threads.

Yes, and you may also have to adjust the torque for the stainless....

The hardware store variety of stainless steel bolt is roughly Grade 2 in strength. They are usually 18-8 or AISI 302 alloy. Good enough for body bolts, but way short of being good enough for anything structural.

ARP SS bolts are a different story entirely. Compare their rated tensile strength to that of the hardware store bolts to see why.

Stainless bolt with a stainless nut is not usually a good thing without anti-seize - and which type of anti-seize used is also important. Neither is stainless threaded into aluminum a good thing if in a usually moist environment.

-
Back