I have a spindle question

-

ta3834bbl

68 cuda 383 project
Reaction score
I just finished the disk brake conversion on my 68 barracuda and have a small , well , big problem. Question, can you switch spindles side to side without altering caster? Is spindle in line with the ball joints? Here is why I ask. I did the swap and put my old roadrunner front tires (which were brand spanking new) on it and they hit the leading edge of the wheelwell opening so bad that I can't turn the steering wheel more that half a turn and it hits the tire. I have about 1 inch behind the wheel to the trailing edge of the fender opening. The tire is a 215/75/r15 on 7 inch rims and they measure about 27 inches tall. Can you put this big of a tire on an a body without opening the wheel well. It has been a long time since I had a a/body so maybe I forget how small things are on them! Maybe if you guys are running a 27 or 28 inch front runner without problems then I might have too wide a rim or too much offset.

Okay, gotta ask, just so I can keep an eye on this one.
Stock spindles? Early or late A body disc? Late model "B" or "F" body spindles?
Stock rims? Go with the basics and work your way out from there. My guess from this standpoint would be wrong offset on the wheels and the tires are a bit tall.

Revhendo

I believe I just have too tall a tire. After remeasuring, tech from BBD, and answers from another post, I have come to the conclusion that I need shorter tires. I looked at a valiant last night at the drag strip and noticed the wheel wells are opened more than the cudas. The leading edge of the cuda fender is verticle and the duster/dart/demon/sport/valiant is angled forward as it gets lower.

To answer your question, the parts are off of a volare with modified stock control arms. The spindles do swap left to right without changing geometry.

Wow, thanks, I didn't know that about the spindles. I had thought so, but wasn't sure. I have a 69 Valiant that I did the spindle swap on, I used 75 Duster upper arms and the later "B" (or Volare') spindles on. I have a slight tire rub with a 225/50/15, but that is because of my 15x8 E-bay wheels with too much offset. A few tweeks, I'll get that rub out......

Revhendo

its do to both size and offset! but then again if you came down on size you could make it work!

i run 73 arms and spindles

Dont you find 7 is a little wide for front
thats what i run.. 16x7

i had to modify to make fit and im 22 tall i think

Definetly too tall on the tire. My 68 Cuda has 215/65r15's on the front and they just barely clear. Like by a hair!!!! Their only 26 inches tall I think. My rims are 7 inch wide with 3-1/2" offset.

-
Back