I have been test driving new Challengers.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
As much as I bad mouth modern Chrysler products I really like the new Challenger. It's so much nicer than the pre 2015.

I see an R/T plus, manual 6speed with the super track pack in my future. It's more than fast enough for my "grandpa" driving style.

I will take mine in white, no blackout package or goofy stripes.

More importantly, my wife is comfortable as both a passenger and driver in one.

I was set on a new Camaro until we drove one and absolutely hated it. Neither the wife or I could get comfortable in the thing and it was like sitting in a bucket.

I drive a 15 RT track pack auto daily 76 mile route trip commute. Didn't need the bells and whistles of the plus, but would have liked to buy the leather seats separate.

Nice in the suburbs and beyond on So cal. IMHO, too big and bulky for metro LA city driving and parking where I grew up.

I drive a 15 RT track pack auto daily 76 mile route trip commute. Didn't need the bells and whistles of the plus, but would have liked to buy the leather seats separate.

Nice in the suburbs and beyond on So cal. IMHO, too big and bulky for metro LA city driving and parking where I grew up.

The leather is the only reason we are looking at the plus. The thing does feel like a tank.

One of the things that annoys me about "option packages". It's the same across all manufacturers. If I just want leather, I should be able to just get leather.

Last edited:
The leather is the only reason we are looking at the plus. The thing does feel like a tank.

Sucks they hold the leather seats hostage in the RT plus. Almost seemed cheaper to buy a Scat Pack with just leather. Leather was a separate option on a SP; IIRC ~$900.

Oh yea. It's a tank. I felt like I was going to hit parked cars going down resisdential streets. Took me a while to get out of the center of the road. And I drove E250 and transit connect vans daily before that.

I bought a new 2016 R/T Challenger Scat Pack last November. LOVE IT! The exhaust sound my car makes is amazing!

I bought a new 2016 R/T Challenger Scat Pack last November. LOVE IT! The exhaust sound my car makes is amazing!

That's the one thing my wife wouldn't stop talking about, the exhaust sound. She is a much more aggressive driver than I am. We did drive the 8 speed auto and I thought it was amazing. That thing just hammers out shifts. It really made me question my want of a stick shift.

She also thinks I should get he shaker hood scoop but I'm just not that flashy.

The car really has the look and feel of a muscle car got with all the modern goodness that you just don't find in something like my 68 Barracuda.

One of the things that annoys me about "option packages". It's the same across all manufacturers. If I just want leather, I should be able to just get leather.

get the lesser model and have the dealer install the leather.. most dealers have someone that does it and most of the time its nicer then OE leather..

Make damn sure what ever you buy has a back up camera.
Mine is a 2012 and does not have one, you cannot see anything out the back.
And the stick shift is actually a pain, because the gears are so close together, you are constantly shifting.

Haven't been in new challenger but took a 17 hellcat charger out for a ride. Very roomy car for me. I am 6 ft and 270 and plenty of head room, leg room and solid riding car. I do like the newer style dashes from the previous years. People call them heavy which they are but this hellcat turned nice, stopped nice, handle bumps with ease and felt like a solid car. I thought it would be a tad bit faster then what it was. The 8 speed auto does hammer out gears. Not a fan of auto but I wouldn't mind one.

I had a '14 Shaker. I know have a '17 with the 8 spd auto love it. The new enhancements are killer. You will enjoy.

I rented an SRT late last year. I'd gladly trade all my current cars for it. Loved everything but the mileage.

I've had several, a '09 R/T manual Plus, '15 R/T manual Plus Classic STP & now a '14 R/T auto Shaker Edition.

The 15 & up to me isn't all it's cracked up to be. I didn't care for the interior of the '15 & up. The '15 just felt like any other newer car, it's just like some of the Jeep SUV's & the touch screen is really annoying how you have to use it for certain things. The leather isn't like regular leather either, it's like suede. Also, on the '15 & up the Super Track Pack 1/4 mile timers & other performance timers go away after 6 months unless you pay for a U-connect subscription. It's really dumb to have to pay monthly for options you bought with a option on the window sticker.

Last edited:
I've had several, a '09 R/T manual Plus, '15 R/T manual Plus Classic STP & now a '14 R/T manual Shaker Edition.

The 15 & up to me isn't all it's cracked up to be. I didn't care for the interior of the '15 & up. The '15 just felt like any other newer car, it's just like some of the Jeep SUV's & the touch screen is really annoying how you have to use it for certain things. The leather isn't like regular leather either, it's like suede. Also, on the '15 & up the Super Track Pack 1/4 mile timers & other performance timers go away after 6 months unless you pay for a U-connect subscription. It's really dumb to have to pay monthly for options you bought with a option on the window sticker.

Surprised about your review of the interior. The interior improvements that came in 15 are the main reason I started thinking about getting one.

You also have 3 interior options, leather, suede or cloth. The STP offers many improvements beyond the timers, but it's good to know that you must pay a fee. I agree, that's stupid.

Goofy stripes? LOL...the various stripe packages look fantastic to me. :D

I agree with those pointing that the car is a roadwhale. I wanted one so badly back in 2011 but ended up with a Mustang GT because it was much smaller and ~600lbs lighter. It sounds like the size and mass won't be an issue for how you plan to use the car. Honestly, as a relaxed daily driver, I can't think of anything more appealing than a nicely appointed R/T.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Goofy stripes? LOL...the various stripe packages look fantastic to me. :D

I agree with those pointing that the car is a roadwhale. I wanted one so badly back in 2011 but ended up with a Mustang GT because it was much smaller and ~600lbs lighter. It sounds like the size and mass won't be an issue for how you plan to use the car. Honestly, as a relaxed daily driver, I can't think of anything more appealing than a nicely appointed R/T.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

My wife has a Mustang GT and it's a nice car too.

My buddy has a 2011 SRT 392 and loves it. Haven't had a chance to drive one but I want one.

-
Back