i know its not Ann a body.......

-

grease monkey 73

Reaction score
What do you guys think? I'm needing a truck for a daily driver so i can start really working on my dart sport and I just found a 99 dakota ext cab R/T 5.9 auto its in pretty damn good shape and he wants 3k for it.
Anybody out there got one?
Is it worth the money?
How fast are they really?
And what kind of gas mileage do they get (if u drive it right)?

Well post pics in just a bit

Just turned 165,000 miles on mine and like Joe said I bought it new in 2001

I drive 96 miles one way to work daily with it ( no wonder it took so friggin long to get my motor done ) been driving the same commute up and down the NJ turnpike since 2008 now.

I've never had any major problems. The tires are not made by goodyear anymore - so i wen to perili (SP?) and average 30k out of them, i'm on my 4th set of tires on the truck now.
I've had the intake fixed at 11k - as it was sucking oil but thats been fine since, needed an ac fix under warranty but aside from that it's been a good truck

The worst part of the truck are the brakes - they warm easy - if you dont torque the wheels correct they are shot instantly. I've gon through about as many rotors as I have tires.

I've ran 15.2 @ 98 in the quarter, and average around 17 mpg driving 75 on the turnpike.

I've changes the oil every 3k and tranny fluid every 20k since new, flushed coolant - etc.

so as long as the truck was maintaied correctly you should just need some brakes and tires... i love the low end torque of the truck - awesome!

I only live about 20 miles from work so that should be ok thanks for the info what have you done to it to run that time or was that stock?

Attachments

• 2012-08-16_12-13-30_125.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 2012-08-16_12-13-22_290.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 2012-08-16_12-13-09_415.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 242
My brother has an 03 that he bought for 9 grand. It's pretty quick but not a scary fast. It's got long tube headers and hotchkis suspension but also uses a little oil. The tranny just took a dump at 100k and that wasn't a cheap fix. I've heard from other owners that they eat trannys and tires. It's a fun truck but IMO a useless utility vehicle. Sounds nasty though!

I'm sorry Grease Monkey73, I know Ann a body, and that certainly isn't her!

Nice truck, though.

Had a 99 Durango. Typical intake leak. Put a Hughes plenum kit on it.. There is no lubrication to the overdrive while in park so if you let it sit and warm up the overdrive isn't being lubed. The trans go kit solves this.

Owned a 2001 since new, trans kit and computer chip, K&N,.. Very agile for a truck,.. always keeps a grin on my face..

Yea i test drove it earlier pretty quick truck ran good found out it has a cam cold air intake full header back borla exhaust only thing imworried about is gas mileage

Mine came with 3:91's, and it's pretty thirsty, but I think it depends a lot on your right foot,, mine's pretty heavy,, hence the grin,.. lol

So I take it if they are burning oil it's an intake issue? That's good to know, we were worried that it was rings or something in the heads. Is there a better intake available for that truck that is smog legal in F-ING California?

If you look at where the oil deposits are, on your spark plugs,, if the deposit is mainly on one side, it's an intake or guide prob..., if oil deposit is fairly even on plug,, is rings, generally..

Yea i test drove it earlier pretty quick truck ran good found out it has a cam cold air intake full header back borla exhaust only thing imworried about is gas mileage

If you're worried about gas milage, then this isn't the truck you should be looking at. if you want gas milage from a truck, look for a four banger.

I bought my 2000 R/T CC in 02 with 31,000 miles.

I just turned over 131,000.

It handles GREAT for a truck.

Tires are expensive and hard to find.

I get a real world average MPG of 14.1 (according to the EVIC compuer, that I have verified to within .1 MPG), although YMMV, as I've never haeard of anyone else getting this high of an AVERAGE. Yes, it will get 23 MPG at 45-50 MPH, but at 70, you're LUCKY to be getting 16. If you do a lot of city/ stop-go, be prepared for 10-12 MPG.

I have had two chronic issues-

MAP/TPS sensor gets dirty real fast, and causes engine to surge (especially with CC on) between 55 and 65 MPH. Annoying, but not a deal killer. I just live with not using curise until 67 MPH.

A/C is "weak" and leaks slightly from unidentifiable location.
Needs a can of 134 every year.

I've NOT had-

The trasnmission rebuilt
The A/C leak into the pass compartment
The weatherstrip leak into the pass compartment
The ball joints fail
(All reportedly common issues)

I HAVE had-

Replaced water pump
Replaced radiator (possibly due to water pump)
Replaced serp belt tensioner (three times- 2x bearing, 1x spring)
Replaced LF spindle/bearing asssy
Replaced both calipers
Replaced both rotors
Replaced dist pickup plate

This has been the BEST, MOST reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and the best I've ever known anyone else to have owned. (although I've heard horror stories from other owners)

14 mpg average is about what I was expecting. I had a 318 Dak, and it would avg about 15.4. Really sucked in the city, though.

I have an old 2000 Silverado LS with a 4.8L V8/auto. Reg cab with a long bed. It's loaded up with options but still looks like a work truck. In long hauls at 75 MPH+ it will pull 20+ MPG all day long, and avg 17.2. It's been a really good truck, No repairs for for the first 236,000 miles, other than replacing the A/C compressor. Just after hitting the 236,000 mile mark, I blow a planetary gear in the trans. Rebuilt the trans, and replaced the radiator. Other than those threee things, no other issues, and I still use it every day.

...and before you flame me for posting about Chevy, I also own a Ford, a GMC, and Three Rams. ;)

The Ford has a 5.8L in it, and avgs about 13 mpg. Not real good. The Rams are diesels.

And as far as flamin you i have had fords chevys mopars rat rods hell ill even admit to loving my old 300zx nissan i love them all

the white truck pictured is not an 01 - its a 2000 down - it still has v8 on the fenders - from 97 to 2000 they did that

-
Back