I must be one lucky some beach.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
No other way to explain it.

Needed 4 inches off my driveline so I used an angle grinder to cut away the weld and separate the yoke from the tube.
Then I cut the line shorter with a metal cutting wheeled chop saw and smoothed out the surfaces and cleaned up the area for the new weld to reassemble it in phase with the other end yoke and used a straight edge multiple times around the driveline to estimate center and true while giving it the occasional tap with a hammer here and there as I tack welded spots around the weld area.
Once I was satisfied that it was the best I could get it I went ahead and put a bead all the way around it filling the gap between the to pieces, then hit it with a flap disc (metal sanding and polishing wheel) to where you couldn't see where the weld was afterwards trying to stay level with the tube.
Figured if I could drive to a driveline shop I would be good with it till I could get it there for balancing.

NO FLIPPIN WAY!!!???
The car was on stands and when I put it in gear I didn't even hear or feel it turning it was so smooth.
Smoother than it was after paying a "Race Shop" 140 bucks to balance it because of a vibration between 35-65 going away after about 70.
Couldn't even tell it was there all the way up to higher 3'rd.
Even thought it was in third gear and I could hear and feel the wheels turning I STILL had to get out and look under the car.:D
Heck I still can believe it, so I bought a lottery ticket. :D

I think a person could try that again 100 times and still not ever get it close to no vibration.

Seen it done,multiple times Greg. Attention to details, and being *** anal about it all,is a recipe ,for success. Best of luck...
FWIW,:"That race shop",isn't so "racy", in the last few months...

I been doin it almost forty years with no balance involved. Tried to explain how here but got beat on by the big "pro" drive shaft guys, so I shut the hell up.

just upgraded my shaft to a heavier wall. used a wrap around to mark the tube before cutting. assembled it and welded her up. a buddy works in a machine shop and put it on the balancer. it was spot on. it's all in attention to detail.

No other way to explain it.

Needed 4 inches off my driveline so I used an angle grinder to cut away the weld and separate the yoke from the tube.

Angle grinder? Heck the first few I did were with a hacksaw! :)

I am so happy to hear this. Like RRR...I quit saying I did it because people don't believe me. So they can spend their big bucks...I keep my mouth shut and just smile.

I been doin it almost forty years with no balance involved. Tried to explain how here but got beat on by the big "pro" drive shaft guys, so I shut the hell up.

I have done a half a million other projects similar, bet never shortened a driveline before this.

Rob,
That cam was a pick man, and the engine sounds so nice and it runs.
I'd be pretty shocked if it wasn't right a the 13 or so in the quarter mark.
Thank you for the help with it.

I have done a half a million other projects similar, bet never shortened a driveline before this.

Rob,
That cam was a pick man, and the engine sounds so nice and it runs.
I'd be pretty shocked if it wasn't right a the 13 or so in the quarter mark.
Thank you for the help with it.

You're certainly welcome. I do want to hear it though. I want to know what my little 302 will sound like with it. With 1/2" less stroke, it should be gnarly.

I did one years ago for some kid across the alley, was trying to get a charger together. Simple job shorten the shaft. This was stick welded. I never rode in it, so I don't know how well or not it worked

You're certainly welcome. I do want to hear it though. I want to know what my little 302 will sound like with it. With 1/2" less stroke, it should be gnarly.

It's just a bit milder sounding than that truck in the video I posted, but I recorded it and listened to it every day for inspiration. :D

It sounds almost exactly like this (maybe a hair milder) but if you idle it down to around 600 RPM's it gets an attitude sound to it.
http://www.classichei.com/Dart/Cam.mp3

It sure flipped out my A/F ratio gauge.
It say's 7.4 almost all the time unless I get into more than about half throttle but the exhaust smells nice and clean with no unburned fuel smell or anything and it runs good.
Any thought on that?
Have not pulled a plug yet though. (wrapping up too many other little things that are important)

Last edited:
-
Back