I need a new printer, what do you all recommend???

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I have an older HP printer that I've been using for many years... It works fine, but since I've replaced my old computer with a new one, HP doesn't have the drivers for it any more, even though I am using the same operating system as my old computer...

Strangely enough, I had drivers that worked with it (Windows 10) a few years back, but now for some reason they don't have drivers posted that work with Windows 10 any more...

So since they HAD drivers that worked with Windows 10, and now don't have them available any more (I feel that they are trying to make me buy a new one so they will get another sale), I am looking for another printer... IT WILL NOT BE ANOTHER HEWLETT PACKARD, since they don't support the drivers for my old one... Since they left me hangin' I will not buy another one from them...

Please let me know what kind of printers you are using and if you recommend that one or not... What do you like about your printer and what don't you like - the pros and cons... What brand and what kind do you recommend... This is for just basic home use....

Thanks

What printer do you have, maybe I can come up with drivers for you.

I've always had HP (like last 30 years) and been happy with them. Never broke. They have always worked well for me regardless of usage. That said.

Regardless of brand you choose.... My advice is to get a laser printer, (color if you can afford it) NOT an ink jet. They are a little cheaper but quality isnt as good and in the long run cost more, even in low usage since the ink dries up over time.

I went to staples and looked at the price of cartridges. Canon had better prices,and i bought a printer/scanner/copier. Its wifi and has worked very well. One in my shop lasted 5 years.think it had to do with dust.

Epson WF-3520. Print/scan/copy/fax

Windows 10 OS. Wifi connected

I prefer the individual color cartridges versus the "all in one"

I am considering going to an Epso Eco- tank color system next.

If you don’t need color, buy a Brother laser printer. They last a long time & print thousands of pages on one toner cartridge.

I will never, ever, ever buy an inkjet printer again. Ink prices are ridiculous & HP printers prevent you from using off brand ink cartridges.

I have the HP Envy 6400e. Nice is the fact I can print right from my phone.

I also have the automatic ink plan which is based on how much you print. Its cheaper then buying ink. Well worth it.

If you don’t need color, buy a Brother laser printer. They last a long time & print thousands of pages on one toner cartridge.

I will never, ever, ever buy an inkjet printer again. Ink prices are ridiculous & HP printers prevent you from using off brand ink cartridges.
I got tired of ink cartridges and their cost and bought a Brother all-in-one color laser. Not photo quality but for general printing it works great.

I'm running Windows 10 with an Epson ET-2800. I like it a lot. It was about $200 at Best Buy. It will print, copy, and scan. It uses the larger individual bottles of ink and gets a LOT of pages per bottle. Like a ream or two of paper per bottle. The ink is very reasonably priced too. Normally I set it for black only, as I rarely need color printing.

IT WILL NOT BE ANOTHER HEWLETT PACKARD, since they don't support the drivers for my old one..

How old is your printer?
They still provide drivers/software for my old Samsung.......

1664371582146.png

I'm running Windows 10 with an Epson ET-2800. I like it a lot. It was about $200 at Best Buy. It will print, copy, and scan. It uses the larger individual bottles of ink and gets a LOT of pages per bottle. Like a ream or two of paper per bottle. The ink is very reasonably priced too. Normally I set it for black only, as I rarely need color printing.

I'm interested in the Echo Tank.... Maybe next go-round

Samsung laser printer B&W, cartridges are fairly inexpensive and get 3000+ pages.

Check the windows 10 legacy setting for pre 10 drivers.

Run Linux 19.2 Cinnamon operating system for desktop computers, they have plug and play drivers on board. That's right Plug and Play.

I have an older HP printer that I've been using for many years... It works fine, but since I've replaced my old computer with a new one, HP doesn't have the drivers for it any more, even though I am using the same operating system as my old computer...

Strangely enough, I had drivers that worked with it (Windows 10) a few years back, but now for some reason they don't have drivers posted that work with Windows 10 any more...

So since they HAD drivers that worked with Windows 10, and now don't have them available any more (I feel that they are trying to make me buy a new one so they will get another sale), I am looking for another printer... IT WILL NOT BE ANOTHER HEWLETT PACKARD, since they don't support the drivers for my old one... Since they left me hangin' I will not buy another one from them...

Please let me know what kind of printers you are using and if you recommend that one or not... What do you like about your printer and what don't you like - the pros and cons... What brand and what kind do you recommend... This is for just basic home use....

Thanks
Laser printers, hands down.
Once upon a time I was a HP repair tech, I don't remember my tech number.
Inkjet printers suck because if you don't use them enough, the jet nozzles will clog and you will need to buy new cartridges.
Laser printers can sit for long periods of time unused.
I have a couple of Brother laser printers, the first is connected to the router via network cable, the second can be connected via wireless or cable. It also has double sided printing and can make photocopies or work as a flatbed scanner.

I bought an Eco-Tank years ago.. back when they were allot more than $200.. Still the best printer I've ever owned.

What printer do you have, maybe I can come up with drivers for you.

I've always had HP (like last 30 years) and been happy with them. Never broke. They have always worked well for me regardless of usage. That said.

Regardless of brand you choose.... My advice is to get a laser printer, (color if you can afford it) NOT an ink jet. They are a little cheaper but quality isnt as good and in the long run cost more, even in low usage since the ink dries up over time.

HP D110 Printer

How do laser printers work if they don't use ink cartridges? Kitty prints out a LOT of craft stuff and I cannot afford to replace the cartridges as often as she would like to print.

How do laser printers work if they don't use ink cartridges? Kitty prints out a LOT of craft stuff and I cannot afford to replace the cartridges as often as she would like to print.
Laser printers use a black powder canister that will print 1000s instead of 100s. Heats the powder and melts it on instead of ink.

Laser printers use a black powder canister that will print 1000s instead of 100s. Heats the powder and melts it on instead of ink.
Yup. I was just reading about them. But of course, Kitty prints color. Man those powder toner cartridges are very expensive.

Here is what the HP Support says about the drivers you need.

The drivers are supposed to be included in your Windows 10 software on your machine.

Go to Printers and find "add a printer" then you find your printer on the list and install it from there.

20221011_002754.jpg

They use toner, which doesnt dry out, comes out dry (no smears) --- You get exceptional page counts out of toner cartridges. Laser is much much faster and generally has much better resolution as well as being considered generally cheaper per page in cost. The downside is that they are more expensive to buy the machine and the machines are usually a bit bigger. Here is a good write up: Inkjet vs. Laser: Which Printer Is Right for You?

For a driver for your d110
Try this: (Download) HP Photosmart D110 / D110a Driver Download (Software Download)

Yup. I was just reading about them. But of course, Kitty prints color. Man those powder toner cartridges are very expensive.

Yeah any way you look at it that printer ink is expensive.

You can print Blacks in "Fast Draft" to save ink. The higher quality of a print job you do, then it takes more ink.

And if you print on Photo Paper, they look real good but it uses about 4 times the regular ink.

I justify the high print ink costs as to hiring a Secretary to do yhe printing, now that would be really expensive.

I print my own stuff and try to conserve. When it needs to be high quality, then I have to pay the piper and anty up.

They use toner, which doesnt dry out, comes out dry (no smears) --- You get exceptional page counts out of toner cartridges. Laser is much much faster and generally has much better resolution as well as being considered generally cheaper per page in cost. The downside is that they are more expensive to buy the machine and the machines are usually a bit bigger. Here is a good write up: Inkjet vs. Laser: Which Printer Is Right for You?

For a driver for your d110
Try this: (Download) HP Photosmart D110 / D110a Driver Download (Software Download)
Yep that download link looks good.

Star NX-10, Epson copy. Dot matrix, used one ink tape in 20 years. Lots and lots of printing, never skipped a beat.
Might require a printer port and certainly won't like your phone. A complete tank

Stupid autocorrect, I had to re-edit this a bunch.

They work the same as digital copiers, this is from memory, so it may be a bit off.
Basic components;
Laser
Spinning mirror
Computer brain that turns the laser on and off very fast
The photowhatchamacallit drum
Developer
Toner
Corona wire that ionizes the paper so the toner jumps from the drum to the paper
Fuser assembly, which was an absolute ***** and a half to fix on the LaserJet 4 and 5 series, very good printers with very high duty cycles, much like the 4v.

The laser ionizes the drum where it hits it. The developer is basically just iron filings mixed with the toner, it is charged to carry the toner which is basically just powdered vinyl, and delivers the toner to the drum. The drum with the toner rolls across the ionized paper, which has a greater charge than the drum, so the paper steals the toner from the more weakly ionized drum. Now the paper with the toner (vinyl dust) goes through the fuser, which is usually two halogen lamps inside two metal tubes covered in teflon, where the toner is melted and crushed into the paper.
I remember fixing so many HP LaserJet iip printers which were expensive as Hell when new. They had a little $0.10 capacitor fail on the density control board, which was a $49 part. I just went down to the electronics supply warehouse and spent a couple of dollars on caps and saved my boss hundreds of dollars in just a couple of weeks. Those were nice little printers from the early 90's, very well made. My favorite printer was the LaserJet 4v, it had a life of half a million pages if you would just do the regular preventative maintenance. The big giant architectural firm plotters were just scaled up inkjet printers. Cool ****, those maintenance contracts were like cutting a fat hog in the ***.

Last edited:
-
Back