I need a transmission

-

GotDart

Reaction score
To go behind the stroker small block I'm building. I expect the motor to put out between 450-500hp at the flywheel. The car is a full weight '71 Dart Swinger with a/c, power steering, power brakes, etc, etc. THIS IS NOT A RACE CAR! I am building this as a street cruiser first, fun toy for the track second. And I like both straight track AND the twisty kind. Figure 90-95% street driving with approximately 7500 miles per year total mileage, and yes this includes Freeway/Interstate driving at +70mph as well as stop-and-go bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.

Car is originally a 318/904 column shift. My expectation is that I need to replace everything from the flex plate to the rear U-joint. I already have an 8-3/4" rear end, so that part is accounted for. For an auto tranny, here is what I think I need:

Flex plate, SFI approved
Torque converter, custom designed for engine/chassis combo
Transmission, turnkey race prep'd 904 or 727. No trans brake, normal shift pattern, high quality hard parts, shift kit, low band apply, etc, etc.
Scatter shield or blanket
Floor mounted shifter, ratchet or gate.
New headers if trans is a 727 (supposedly my Doug's headers won't work with a 727)
Driveshaft, either 3-1/2" aluminum or 3" steel
All the little extras - yokes, oil cooler, deep pan, nuts, bolts, mount, fluid, etc, etc...

So what I need is to put realistic price tags next to all these items. I prefer actual numbers, not guesses. If you know what a specific part costs, if you have recommendations, or if you see something I'm missing, please let me know.

Yes, this is a test. I have already done my estimate. Just want to see if I have my head screwed on straight. Let's see if you guys come up with something I haven't thought about.

Hey Greg, I will be interested in watching the answers you get. I have a 75 Duster currently with a slant, but I want to drive mine the same way you are going to drive yours. I have already upgraded to disc brakes, subframe connectors, I have an 8 3/4 sitting in my garage, I just bought one of those flex a lite radiators with the "T" channels for fans, coolers, etc. and it is great. I would love a Keisler 5 speed, but it's too expensive.
Good luck with your project.

Hi Greg,
You can get a deep pan at pick a part for about $15. They are on the 92 up vans and trucks with OD trans. I saw one, 904 type, laying under a van on Wallisville PYP last week in the new section.
There is white van, old section, that had a manual floor shift trans in it. I'm told the column pieces are the same on cars, vans, and trucks. When you go floor shift, I assume you want to get rid of that knot where the column shifter sticks out and the hump for the shift indicator are. There's also a blue Dodge truck w/5 speed. Should be the same column pieces.
What part of town you in any way?

Greg I can't help you with the US$ prices, but if you already have the headers, I'd stay with the 904, built as you described. That way you'll save the cost of new headers, plus, you'll have about 35 free horsepower compared to an equivalently built 727. JMO.

Well reality has struck, and it looks like a new trans is not going to fit into my budget for this year. If I am going to get my Dart on the road next summer, I'm going to have to make do with the 904 I have now. So I am thinking just a basic rebuild and add a shift kit, then maybe a Mopar 10" 2400 stall converter. Not what I want, but it's all I can afford right now. Oh well....

Yea, reality usually hits me right in the old wallet every time I have thoughts about new parts for my cars. :) But hey, a rebuilt 904, TF-2 Shift Kit and a 175K Mopar converter definitely won't slow you down a whole lot, and it's a great street combo. That's exactly what's going in mine for now. If money exceeds expectations (NOT LIKELY) I'll upgrade to a different converter. Maybe if I quit drinking so many brewskies - NOT!! :drinkers:

i agre with OldVart that 904 properly rebuilt with a TF-2 shiftkit and a converter of your choise and liking will work great, atleast here in europe the 904 gearbox has a bad reputation but it is a real good gearbox its light and wont eat alot of power and properly built it will surive alot more power than most could gues;)

-
Back