I want a Harley some day

-
Had an 02 kawasaki vulcan 800 custom. Can be had for around $3000. With new pipes, its a beast, 7k+ rpm redline, watercooled.

I also have an itch for an old bike too. I'd love to find an old Indian that needs a resto but I'd go with a Harley if I can't find an Indian.

I like that bike. I think that will be like the next bike that I will have. I never cared for bikes till I turned 50. I went out and bought a 2007 Harley sportster then in 2009 I bought new fat boy. I just sold it to try to finish my 70 dart convertible. I miss it already. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jim

Attachments

• dawn and me.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 0228090811.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 155
:finga:

There was this couple on 2 huge Harley's, the guy was driving his just fine but the chick was having some trouble in stop and go traffic late at night. No way she could had kick started her bike !

Bike riding isn't for everybody and not those heavy new Harley's. Good luck trying to kick right one of those bikes if its on the way down.

As a teen I had a 175 cc bike--was an on road-off road bike. I had a blast with it. Was perfect for me, geared for a top speed of 65 mpg and lots of kick for a little 175 motor. Lived by some awesome off road trails--was out there most everyday...there was even a big old stolen station wagon way out there. Used to climb on the roof and chill, those were the no worry days
If your worried about falling down you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place. Maybe you should ride one I bet your opinion might change when you feel how balanced they are and not some cheesey piece of **** Jap bike. And the old wifes tale of how they vibrate was 3 decades ago.

Marland you bloody Limey. I love those rocket 3,s. Not what i,d consider a metric.Wish I had one for long cruises.

Why thank you sir lol!

I rode with a chapter called "The Defenders" (cops,EMS workers and firemen) which all their bikes was Harleys. They wore vests with the logos on the back and so forth. They were checking out the Triumph pretty hard, talking amongst one another, and asking me questions. One said to the other "Now that bike I would ride!"

Triumph has the Rocket III Touring as well. Same engine, windscreen, hard bags, single head light, two on each side of the single head light. You can tow a trailer behind the Roadster and the Touring without no problems.

As much as I hate saying it, they're over priced old technology. you're paying for a name. If you're just wanting something to ride and have fun on look at a metric, they may not be american, but any more, neither are harleys... I had a 1996 kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic that ALWAYS got mistakin for a H-D. Vulcan badges were apparant every where on that bike too. You can find a good used one for 3 grand and be waayyyyyyyy ahead on dollars spent vs. a H-D. And most of the H-D accessories fit the metrics too.

If someone mistakes a Vulcan for a Harley they don't know anything about bikes. I've owned 10 bikes over the past 15 years. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Independence (factory custom builder), and Harley. I've had 4 Harleys and won't ride any other bike builder again. I use to say the same thing to people about buying a cheaper brand but there is a certain pride and swagger you get riding an American icon from a company that's been around for over 100 years. My Harley's have all been 2001 or newer and have been just as reliable as any bike out there. They ARE worth the money!

Well.... You want an opinion from someone that worked on German, Italian, British, Japanese and American made bikes from '83 to '94 of all years?

Let me know and I'll spend an hour on it, but here it is in a nutshell...

Harley's have been using Japanese parts out of the factory since '70. Hatachi starters ring a bell? Tokico calipers? Matsushita wiring harnesses? Yes, it can be replaced with US parts, but give me a break. We used to call them "Hardley Doesnaythings" back in the early '80's, but quality improved after the Family got the manufacturing rights back from AMF.

Don't feel that I hate Harley's, I'd love to have a late 1380 shovel, built by me and only me. 'Nough said.

Another thing... I WOULD NEVER BUY A BIKE BECUASE OF HOW SOMEONE ELSE THOUGHT OF ME>>>EVER!!!!!!!!

I won three class champsionships of three entered on one of my Kawasaki's, two at Great Lakes Dragway in Wisconsin. I was sneered at and damn near spit on by two owners of Harley drag bikes. All wore dusters and had snakeskin boots, not impressed. BOTH bikes spit ace hardware and oil all over the track when all was said and done, and yes... Me and my buds who drove their Darts and Chevelle's to the track got a good laugh on the way back through the pits.

Anyway, buy what you love, not what other people think you should have be it Harley, Triumph, Japanese, Italian, German, etc.

Here's a pic of my bike:

Here you go! This road is not for beginners.....

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 153
I like that bike. I think that will be like the next bike that I will have. I never cared for bikes till I turned 50. I went out and bought a 2007 Harley sportster then in 2009 I bought new fat boy. I just sold it to try to finish my 70 dart convertible. I miss it already. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jim

Nice "Blues Brother Blue" Sporty. did you trade that one in on the Fat Boy? If you did you might be sad to know that custom paint was the rarest one offered in 2007. Only available Oct, Nov, and Dec. of 06 on the 07 models.
Iknow this because I have a 07 Roadking classic with the same paint. 236 in the world painted this color according to Harley records.

Attachments

• 100_5844.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 143
I didnt mean to start a **** storm with the old technology comment, but other than electric cruise and anti-lock brakes, i dont see anything on the CVO other than the words Harley Davidson that should cost $29K+... i just dont see it. It's not like I havent been around bikes either,I rebuilt my uncles bike after he passed from wrecking his 97 sporty 1200. Anymore I just call the bikes Hardly Davidson, cause they're hardly worth what people are willing to pay for them. But then again that my own, individuale oppinion. To each his own tho. I don't descriminate, i'll ride with anyone, anytime. It's all about being on the road, most people lost sight of that decades ago anyways.

Here a couple of pics of my old 1500 and my newest ride.

View attachment 96 vulcan 1500 side.jpg

View attachment 96 vulcan front.jpg

And this bike is an absolute BEAST! 2053cc of **** eatin grins!

View attachment VN2K.jpg

View attachment vn2k2.jpg

other than the light output from that behemouth headlight, i don't really caare for the looks of it. Would rather have the standard headlight bucket up front.

No **** storm, it are what it are. :) I've damn near ridden them all from '47 Indians to Areil Square fours. BSA's to Norton's to Ducatis.

Here's a pic of me test riding a good friend and Veteran's build of a KZ750 engine in a KZ650 frame.

Attachments

• Joe.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 143
why in the hell do you want a harley? they're the biggest pieces of ****.....

Not really so... They have their place. S&S can get a reliable 120 hp. Unheard of back in the day.

BUT! One more jag off 30 year old tries to tell me how AMERICAN his bike is, he's getting a lesson in bike building with a flashlight so I can point out all the jap parts, lol. :finga:

You'll still have an over priced slow, vibrating piece of crap when you're done, don't bother. A swingers club is cheaper and much more fun...
Incorrect on all four points, if done correctly.

I don't think there is such a thing as an old reliable Harley. Hell, mines a 2006 that I ride daily and it needs work all the time.
Get a new mechanic, or new dealership.

Isn't that chain driven ?

Primary chain, yes.
Final drive, no. You can see the belt drive on the LH side.

Nice "Blues Brother Blue" Sporty. did you trade that one in on the Fat Boy? If you did you might be sad to know that custom paint was the rarest one offered in 2007. Only available Oct, Nov, and Dec. of 06 on the 07 models.
Iknow this because I have a 07 Roadking classic with the same paint. 236 in the world painted this color according to Harley records.
Well, to nit-pick a bit...It's Jake Blue over Elwood Blue, Not "Blues Brothers Blue".

In other words it's not a single-tone paint scheme. ;)

From the day I uncrated them, those were my favorite colors on any Harley.

I have to admit, I'm no Harley fanatic. The only one I think is cool is the V-Rod, and all the traditionists HATE that one.
Never owned a motorcycle of any kind. Then last week did a bunch of plumbing for a woman I know (who is selling a 20+ acre estate) and got an '07 Raptor (baby 50cc) and a built '03 Banshee in exchange for my work and parts

I didnt mean to start a **** storm with the old technology comment, but other than electric cruise and anti-lock brakes, i dont see anything on the CVO other than the words Harley Davidson that should cost $29K+... i just dont see it. It's not like I havent been around bikes either,I rebuilt my uncles bike after he passed from wrecking his 97 sporty 1200. Anymore I just call the bikes Hardly Davidson, cause they're hardly worth what people are willing to pay for them. But then again that my own, individuale oppinion. To each his own tho. I don't descriminate, i'll ride with anyone, anytime. It's all about being on the road, most people lost sight of that decades ago anyways.

Here a couple of pics of my old 1500 and my newest ride.

View attachment 1714516721

View attachment 1714516722

And this bike is an absolute BEAST! 2053cc of **** eatin grins!

View attachment 1714516723

View attachment 1714516724

other than the light output from that behemouth headlight, i don't really caare for the looks of it. Would rather have the standard headlight bucket up front.
You wouldn't understand obviously! Trashing Harleys puts you in the same catagory as the Chevy guy trashing Mopars! You cant compare a Kawasaki in any aspect to a Harley Davidson. I had a 05 Softail Deluxe I bought new for $17500 and traded it 5 yrs later and got $14500. for it and bought a 2010 Street Gluide for $19500, Traded it a year later for the CVO and got my money back. Try that with a Kawasaki you would be lucky to get half your money back in 1 year.

Incorrect on all four points, if done correctly.

Get a new mechanic, or new dealership.

Tell that to a Harley guy I talked to this week. He bought a brand new 2010 Harley and was riding it one day and it dropped a valve. The valve retainers came lose. He had it repaired under warranty with new heads etc... Then later on he started having problem with it not running correctly. He dropped it off at the Harley dealership for repair under warranty. He got a call from them that it would cost him $2900 to have it fixed. They explained to him it needed heads yah dah yah dah and it wasnt covered under warranty. He told them "Don't do anything I'll be right there to pick it up!" He explained to me that when he got there the bike was never even touched. He asked them "How you know it needs heads? You put brand new heads on it not long ago!"

He took it to another motorcycle mechanic and it was the inner belt or chain was lose (forgive me I know nothing about harleys) and it would make the run bad for some reason. The Harley shop was trying to rip the guy off!

Well just like anything else you can make an H.D. very reliable. Here is my 1969 FLH. I've owned it since 1976. I ride it every day (weather permitting).
You can also make them run pretty good too. Here is a shot of my Sportster Super/Mod. It ran 9.30's @ 140 on all motor. This bike won 2 National Championships. My Evo powered Pro/Mod ran 8.80@ 150 also all motor.

Attachments

• E-Town 95.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 149
  • shovel 69.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 140
Well, to nit-pick a bit...It's Jake Blue over Elwood Blue, Not "Blues Brothers Blue".

In other words it's not a single-tone paint scheme. ;)

From the day I uncrated them, those were my favorite colors on any Harley.

Yes this is correct. The color is Jake and Elwood blue.

-
Back