I was out deer hunting and .....

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went to one of the spots I like to deer hunt yesterday morning. No deer showed up but I was entertained. Momma and junior showed up shortly after first light. They were awful curious as to what I was. They got to within 30 feet before I scared them away. That is a little to close for me to get between them even if I did have a .270 in my hands. It was a real spooky kind of morning with the ground fog that was around.

Jack

Attachments

• mini-DSCI0048.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 387
WOW. Be careful though. I'd guess you know a Ma Moose 'n her little one is not something to fiddle with.

Hey Jack. Here.s what I found Wednesday morning!!!

Attachments

• 155.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 352
I really think conservation management is working. Here in Eastern MT we are now seeing tons of bald eagles, more and more Elk, an occasional Moose, and recently a group of big Horn Sheep!

a typical hunt for me, I am always in the wrong place, see everything except what I'm hunting for. oh well it's fun

Deer are like birds here in south west ohio.
There are 3 that are in my yard every morning when I go to work. They used to get spooked and run off, now they just look at me while I get in the car and leave.
Turkey are getting thick and brave also.

Deer are like birds here in south west ohio.
There are 3 that are in my yard every morning when I go to work. They used to get spooked and run off, now they just look at me while I get in the car and leave.
Turkey are getting thick and brave also.

guess there are bear in them thar plains!
a friends brother just had 2 ponies of some sort killed by a black bear,he reportedly ate their hearts and livers,( the bear!) and left the rest to rot some. they are said to do that , then come back to eat the rotting meat. between oollagah and tallala okla. bout 20 miles from me.
time for him to break out the big artilery!!!!--------------------------bob
by the way, mopars at the park"tulsa": was a little dissapointing yesterday, was good, but too few cars,but were some really neat ones. the twin turbo`d duster from okc wasn`t there either,. should have mine there next year, as I hope to have it running before winter is over, if the Lord`s willing and the creek don`t rise.----------------------------bob:-?:-?

Did you find it that way or did you make it be that way? Nice buck.

Jack

I've been hunting a long time and never seen anything like what happened. Tuesday evening at dusk he walked into the field in front of me. I was in the wood edge stand. I made a perfect 50yd shot on him. He dropped right there like a ton of bricks where I hit him and flailed his legs for a few seconds, then motionless. I thought, great shot Right!. Not so much. I was getting ready to get down, when he leaped to his feet and bolts into the brushy woods right back where he came from. I mean he was motionless for probably 10 secs before he got up!! I heard him go through the brush , the I thought I heard his steps walking away. I was like WTF?? Wasn't sure if he was dead, so I did'nt want to push him further away. I got down and looked for blood. None!! Not even leading into the brush. No good bright light with me so I went home. Went back next morning at daybreak with Gunner to see if we could find it. First I looked for blood. Still none!! Walked into the woods about 60yds!! in one direction I thought , Gunner went a different direction. A minute later , Gunner is barking. The pic is how I found them. Reason for no blood, Entry wound, no exit wound. Strange thing is , when I gutted it, the heart was blown into 10 pieces?? Go figure!! My dog is 81lbs for pic reference. Deer was about 195lbs, 10 points. MMMM.... Deer Jerky

That is a real nice buck for your neck of the woods! What kind of gun were you using?

I have a rule I go by when deer hunting. If it's before noon, I shoot through the ribs. If it's the evening, I will front shoulder them every time. I may ruin a shoulder but I know I don't have to track it through our thick jungle up here.

Jack

.222 is such a light fast bullet, it tends to fragment instead of punching through. I shoot Remington core-locked 180gr out of my 30-06. No problems tracking them.

a typical hunt for me, I am always in the wrong place, see everything except what I'm hunting for. oh well it's fun

I know this feeling!!! Went now huntin Saturday morning and evening, saw deer both times but they were 150+/- yds away. Other than that all I saw was squirrels. Yesterday my bro in law n I went out to check our cameras and took a .22 with to shoot a few squirrels. I told him "just watch, ya go deer huntin n see squirrels, go squirrel huntin n see deer". Well, he was still checkin his camera so I went over to my stand to sit there awhile n wait for a few squirrels to come out, I walked through some leaves n climbed up my stand, wasn't really quiet just walking normal. I get up in my stand and here some thing in the woods on the other side of a power line so I look and there, about 35 yds away, walks a doe! Never knew I was there! Typical.

Here is a typical (actually non typical) idaho buck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 114
-
Back