ID for 4 speed automatic

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 4 speed automatic (A500/42RH). I'd like to identify exactly what model of transmission it is and what vehicle it came from. Is there a way to do that?

I can’t answer your question but likely from a 91/92 Dakota or possibly a Ram up through whenever they went to the electronic version - 94 or so.

I can’t answer your question but likely from a 91/92 Dakota or possibly a Ram up through whenever they went to the electronic version - 94 or so.
What else could it be? lol

I doubt they used the 42's in RAM, likely Dakota and I don't even know if they were used in V8s so likely V6. There is a big long number either or both on a sticker or stamped on the pan rail should help

I doubt they used the 42's in RAM, likely Dakota and I don't even know if they were used in V8s so likely V6. There is a big long number either or both on a sticker or stamped on the pan rail should help
Yeah they put um behind 5.2s in rams and dakotas.

I believe the early 500 did not have a lock-up torque converter. So it may behoove you to figure out what year this transmission is.

I believe the early 500 did not have a lock-up torque converter. So it may behoove you to figure out what year this transmission is.
Should be able to tell by looking at connector. Lockup + OD has 3 terminals--1 is 12V in, each of other two is lockup and OD

This has a 3 wire connector and it's lock up and OD. I don't know enough about these to know which numbers cast in the case would tell me something, Where the serial number would be, how to figure the year of manufacture, or which pictures to post that would help the ID...

I was told by the seller this was a 42RH, but it seems the three wire connector means electric control of OD and lock-up, so does that make it a 42RE???

This has a 3 wire connector and it's lock up and OD. I don't know enough about these to know which numbers cast in the case would tell me something, Where the serial number would be, how to figure the year of manufacture, or which pictures to post that would help the ID...
You don't want cast numbers, there should be a string stamped into the pan rail somewhere.

This might help......found this Russian site which has ATSG manuals free

Коробки передач | Интернет-магазин запчастей для автоматических коробок переключения передач

RH series manual:

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/42RH.pdf

Last edited:
How about posting some pictures? 3 wires is not a re. An re has a rounded plug with about 8 wires in it.

Start with the plug in then Left side and right side.
I would like to see the passenger side pan rail.

will do. I'll post photos tomorrow and any ID # in the pan rail area.

so finally, here are pics and the serial # from the pan rail

PK4 505465 0295 7958

DSC02470.JPG
DSC02471.JPG
DSC02473.JPG
DSC02474.JPG
DSC02475.JPG
DSC02476.JPG

-
Back