ID this Converter?

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I bought this some time back. Wondered if anyone could ID it. Its a 727 converter and the guy list some info. But didnt know the brand? He said he thought it was a Coan but wasn't sure.

http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/eaglesguy1981j/?action=view&current=converter.jpg
converter.jpg

yea i would think hughes with the red...

looks like a 9"/ 68 and later trans

it is a 10" and there are no numbers on it. Ive looked but can look again. I know just photo its a long shot. Where might I look for numbers do these places have a default place they put them?

RG13U THEN A triangle symbol then a O with a 3 inside of it followed by 11 7.

these are the only numbers on this i looked several times

I guess i found it odd that there was no numbers on the converter just starter ring. I went over it several times too

I have a jw that has zero markings also. Only figured it out by identifying the billet ring gear support. Took a lot of searching through pictures online.

here are some other shots. and a shot of the only numbers on it which seem to indicate the numbers are for the ring gear. I did send a photo and message to hughes yesterday no reply.

Attachments

• torq.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 137
  • torq1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 137
  • torq2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 160
Well here's some bad news. Well not bad but it doesn't help. I am pretty sure those numbers have nothing to do with the converter. The RG 130 means ring gear 130 teeth.

Well here's some bad news. Well not bad but it doesn't help. I am pretty sure those numbers have nothing to do with the converter. The RG 130 means ring gear 130 teeth.

Pioneer ring gear with use on a 1968 727 part number is FRG130T.

Pioneer Inc. - Flywheel Ring Gear
Part # FRG130T
UPC: 727993015872
Without High Performance Engine
A727 Automatic Transmission
131 Teeth
OE Number: 1941648

I didnt think it was either a TA either. Ive had this posted over on moparts and it was suggested. but i didnt think it either. im sure its aftermarket.

I sent this over to Lenny at Ultimate. I figured id try and see if any of the converter guys have seen one before.

Message body

Hi Josh, that is a Hughes converter. It is a 10" TF727 that uses the 7/16X20 bolt package. As far as stall goes, you kno0w that it will vary depending on the specifics of your combo and without knowing if they rebladed it. The core used is a Vega 10" core and they are high stall to begin with having a very negative blade pitch. If you could give me a little run down on your combo, I will try to predict what you might see

Show Details

Message body

More info from Lenny. Such a helpful guy.

I would recommend the 10" for this application, so that's good, providing it has a neutral blade(straight) and a stock vega stator configuration. This would give you approx. 3300-3600 stall which should work well, and would have good street manners.

-
Back