IDENTIFY MY booster.

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
HELLO, guys

i think i have asked before but couldn't find any evidence that i had. I am looking to replace my brake booster and master cylinder on my 1968 plymouth barracuda (not original or original owner.) it has power steering - front disks rear drums - with a dodge 440- i am browsing around rockauto but shipping is killer so i want to shop around autozone and such but not sure what i am looking for.

my question is how many different ways is there to know what you are looking for when shopping for a booster cylinder package or what am i trying to identify? rear cracket? complete size? booster diameter? i am trying to find smallest size possible to have more roon under the hood.

thanks

A pic of the booster would help. If that is a factory booster for DB then it's a dual diaphram

My dual diaphragm did not work all that well with the 292/508/108 cam that idled a tad under 10 inches. Once the revs were up it did a pretty good job, tho. It worked just fine with my 270/110 cam.

BOOST_zpscje65sao.jpg

so, again....

trying to get the smallest one possible but wallet friendly as well. Attempting to get more compact to save up some room in that engine bay.

looks like 73 dart.

but as far as getting something more compact. is there another model year i could use that would work as good?

From Mopar,I think there are only the two bolt-in types; namely the dual diaphragm and the one you have.
The dual-diaphragm has a linkage multiplier, that raises the booster some 1.5 inches IIRC plus it is physically a smaller diameter. I think it was stock on 340 cars in the 70s.To get the linkage you might try an ad in the wanted section. Your M/C will bolt right to it. The aluminum K/C is only slightly more compact, and since the DD unit raises it anyway, I see no reason to change it. I suppose you could use the offset linkage on your booster, but closing the hood might be a challenge!
I wonder if the van linkage could be adapted, something from the 70s, where they turned the booster sideways. Naw, probably not.....

Last edited:
-
Back