Identify this converter

-

Boduke

Reaction score
Pulled out of what i think is 904. Mated to 73 318.
What do these markings mean?
Looks to be non factory fresh
Im
Re-using the converter..just curious

663C1A42-C10F-4384-8BAE-92335B6294C1.jpeg

Looks like reman converter H/S usually means Hi stall. L/UP usually means lock up converter. 762 is the manufactures ID or part number.

Could of had a NON above the L/UP that got wiped off? 762 are usually non lock up. Medium stall 904 converters. According to TC Remanufacture.

just wondering What would constitute “high stall”? In a 73 dart 318? 2000 rpm? It does feel
Pretty loose for low horsepowr.

Someone may have ordered it in like that with a higher stall. The higher stall was like 1800 to 2200. We had a customer complain that they had to apply too much brake to keep the car from moving with the car in gear the dealership ship lowered the idle then the car would want to stall the customer (she) was not happy (and a relative to the service manager) so they put in a higher stall converter. This was many years ago. They pretty much make whatever you want now adays.

Someone may have ordered it in like that with a higher stall. The higher stall was like 1800 to 2200. We had a customer complain that they had to apply too much brake to keep the car from moving with the car in gear the dealership ship lowered the idle then the car would want to stall the customer (she) was not happy (and a relative to the service manager) so they put in a higher stall converter. This was many years ago. They pretty much make whatever you want now adays.
Genuis!

The markings may or may not mean anything they could be the building companies part number. The company I worked for in the past, our part number 762 was for a 225/318 1968 and up 904, NON LOCKUP, and was a low stall (around 1900-2000 stall).

Back then I could tell when seeing someone looking for a parking spot and they went by me, when they had a factory hi stall in their car. . They were "whinier" when crawling at those speeds in 1st gear. Seemed especially so in F M J body cars ...Ive had a couple of them over the years.

But I just bought a fresh 904 l/u converter from someone here, the number on that one is a "CR9L" for " low stall, I looked at a cr9h in a catalog and hi stall is only a couple of hundred rpm more than the CR9L. Both have a 400 rpm "rnge" in stall, and they actually overlap.
One is like a 1700-2100 and the other is like 1900-2300. So either could stall out at say 2000 rpm. Listing showed this as either of these being for a 225 or a 318.
I'm debating on switching tranny's in my truck an 85 D150 with a slant. Currently a 727 (which may just stay put unless/until I have a problem with) I was hoping this was the hi stall because of the weight of a truck, but discovered exactly what it ia once the big brown truck got it here. It'll work for my needs ...

I have on hand everything I'd need to swap in an 833 OD but I also have an a500 here and I know exactly where there's a 60s /6 with a sb 727 old enough to have that plate adapter needed to put a sb trans behind the/6. I got this "CR9L" to complete the swap that way if that's how I decided to go.
( Got a fresh converter because if I go a500 it won't be without a rebuild and beef up)

That might be a "high stall" using factory terminology, but it can't be too high judging from the diameter of the converter to how little the ring gear protrudes.

i always thought it was spunkier than it should be

-
Back