Identifying Gen III Hemi - 6.4L

-

jlsperko

Reaction score
Does anyone know if / how you can identify the history of a 6.4L? If there was a SRT8 6.4L and a 6.4L pulled from a truck on an engine stand next to one another, how do I know which is which? Can I tell where it started it's life? Can I tell what year vehicle it came out of? I have read the cam and intake are different on the trucks, and maybe some other internals. Just seems odd the way you can look at castings on an LA block and potentially pinpoint it to the car it came out of, but not know anything about a new 6.4L.

The Chrysler "Mopar Crate HEMI Engine Kits" state "The kits can be used with a previously purchased new or used 2014 or newer 5.7L or 6.4L HEMI engine". What changed in 2014 on the 6.4L that now allows this kit to work? How do I know where a pulled 6.4L started it's life? If it is mated to an 8 speed transmission, I am pretty certain it came from a 2015 or newer

I see that in 2015, they bumped from 470 hp to 485 hp.

I have been looking for candidates for a Hemi swap and just want to make sure I know as much as I can before purchasing something.

I believe the SRT 6.4 block is painted hemi orange, truck blocks black. At least that's how mine are painted from the factory.

Exactly right. Car 392 block is orange and truck block is black. Color is one of the more obvious. However, look for the car to have a forward facing (angled toward the left) throttle body while the truck throttle body faces upward at the front.

Additionally, look for a 6.4 cast into the car block and the truck block will have a BGE (Big Gas Engine) cast into it. The BGE is your best bet for a high horsepower engine build, especially under boost or nitrous. The BGE is the same block and head castings as the 6.2 Hellcat engine. (They both have a 4.090 bore but the HC uses slightly shorter stroke.)

-
Back