Identifying my Current 15 Inch Wheels - and thoughts about wheel replacements

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
Can someone identify my wheels from this picture?
No markings.

These are currently on my 67 Plymouth Barracuda; but I am unhappy with them.
I'm sure the previous owner thought the bigger wheels/tires, and raked stance were "cool".
But they present a dislike problem for me.

#1 - the offset is bad and the tires protrude from the wheel wells....they are probably at least neutral, with no offset......Therefore, both front and rears occassionally scrub the fenders on rough highways.

#2 - Besides having the wheels more inside the wheel wells, the rear coil over shocks have the *** end set too high for my taste.
I'd like a little more OEM look...just too much rake!

So, I'll probably end up with new rear shocks, and 14 inch wheels with a 4 1/2 inch offset to accomplish what I want.

THOUGHTS??? RECOMMENDATIONS??

IMG_0911[1].JPG

Attachments

• passenger side.jpg
    passenger side.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 37
They look pretty cool, someone will want them.

If you don't like it that's fine, I like stock sized stuff also.

The name Rader comes to mind

Just so you know,
it is possible to put 295/50-15s inside those Barracuda tubs, and lower the car to nearly whatever you want. Here's what I did;
1) I moved the springs inboard with the bolt-in kit;
2) I cut off the perches, set new ones on the springs
3) I had the rear narrowed to fit my favorite 10" kidney-slot alloy wheels that had a 4.5" backspace. There was exactly enough room to do all that and I don't think hardly a mm extra, lol.
4) I dropped the narrowed axle down on new perches, centered it between the inner tubs, set the spring spacing, set the pinion angle, and welded her in.
5) Nothing rubs no matter what.
6) with a little hammer work, I got 325/50-15s to fit in there, also on 10s. but I gotta slow down on the turns a lil.

Last edited:
I’m in the “they look bad a$$!” Camp
It really makes the car look like it came from the 60’s early 70’s era.

I do NOT know for sure, but......
They look like Rocket, but I'm pretty sure Rocket doesn't make any 5 on 4 wheels.
I suspect they might be Team III/E-T mags, tho I think they would have markings.
Have you pulled the wheels off, and looked at the inside for a logo?
(That looks like the typical mag from the 70s-90s. Not enough backspace)
Finding ANY wheels other than stockers that have enough backspace, and 5 on 4, is getting harder every day.

You asked for a thought , here's mine.
Backspace and offset are ENTIRELY different things, tho related. Youd
best keep your terms straight.
I can't be bothered to remember which way is + or - offset, so I don't try. And "offset" needs to be calculated, backspace can be measured. Tell me a wheel has such and such offset, I don't have any idea if it fits. Tell me the backspace I'll have a good idea if it fits or not.

Rant over.

I can't be bothered to remember which way is + or - offset, so I don't try. And "offset" needs to be calculated, backspace can be measured. Tell me a wheel has such and such offset, I don't have any idea if it fits. Tell me the backspace I'll have a good idea if it fits or not.

Rant over.
Most of the historical threads talk about needing positive 4 1/2 inch offset.
And, I've seen a few diagrams of it.
How To Measure A Bolt Pattern: A Guide To Measuring Wheels | JEGS

No offense meant, but again, your terminology is wrong. You're talking about BACKSPACE, not offset.
4 1/2 inches of "offset" would put it against the leaf spring, or if the other way, sticking out the fender two inches.
A + or - offset of 25 (mm!) would be about one inch. 4 1/2 inches of offset would be around 110 mm.
See if you can find a wheel like that.

Last edited:
A set of genuine Gabriel Hi- jackers air shocks helps with that.
Lol!
until you break the upper shock mount because they're not designed to carry vehicle weight.......when we bought my duster in 1991 with 50K miles, it had air shocks on it and both upper shock mounts were completely ripped out of the unibody.

1000007553.jpg
Can someone identify my wheels from this picture?

No markings.

These are currently on my 67 Plymouth Barracuda; but I am unhappy with them.
I'm sure the previous owner thought the bigger wheels/tires, and raked stance were "cool".
But they present a dislike problem for me.

#1 - the offset is bad and the tires protrude from the wheel wells....they are probably at least neutral, with no offset......Therefore, both front and rears occassionally scrub the fenders on rough highways.

#2 - Besides having the wheels more inside the wheel wells, the rear coil over shocks have the *** end set too high for my taste.
I'd like a little more OEM look...just too much rake!

So, I'll probably end up with new rear shocks, and 14 inch wheels with a 4 1/2 inch offset to accomplish what I want.

THOUGHTS??? RECOMMENDATIONS??

View attachment 1716249549
Those are Halibrand clones. I have a set too. They were sold by a vendor at the Mopar Nats a half dozen years ago. No name I ever saw.

Those are Halibrand clones. I have a set too. They were sold by a vendor at the Mopar Nats a half dozen years ago. No name I ever saw.
Yup! Looks the same.
And the previous owner lived not that far from PA.
Do the center caps have a logo.
On mine, when cleaned up, the inside of the wheel is almost a creamy white.

And, it looks like Halibrand is now owned by Holley.

Last edited:

Rant over.
You are correct in that they are not measured the same; although related in the sense when attempoting to tuck a wheel inside of the wheel well.
Most of the wheel specs that I see on the web mention "Offset"; not Backspacing.
Jegs has several good diagrams and charts.
How To Measure A Bolt Pattern: A Guide To Measuring Wheels | JEGS

If you stay with aftermarket wheels, the Torq Thrust type rims look great and you can get them in 14 or 15 with proper backspacing
588B3EAC-D85B-4699-989A-C37A1EF2C085.jpeg

OP - I agree with your assessment. What size tires are on the car now?

so, my duster's 7.25" is 57.125" wide, drum to drum, assuming your rear is about the same. IF you like the wheels, but want to tuck them in, here are a couple potential lower cost options that might be cheaper than new rims:

if you get an explorer 8.8 rear and do the trick where you shorten the drivers side and use 2 pass side axles, that makes a rear that is ~56.625" wide, effectively adding 1/4" of backspace per side, it doesn't look like that will be enough....

But.....

do the same to a '93-up ranger 8.8, and you'll end up with an axle 55.5" wide, which would effectively add ~13/16" backspace per side....

these axles in yards are cheap (about $200, probably another $45 for a donor pass side axle shaft), rangers '97-10 are predominantly 3.55 or 3.73 ratio, some can be found with limited slip, and most of the ranger 8.8's are 10x2.5" rear drums, so it shouldn't upset your brake bias/balance. non FX4 rangers are 28 spline axles, 2002 up FX4 and explorers are 31 spline.

IIRC the axle centerline to u-joint centerline are very close in length to an 8.25 and 8.75 axle, so you probably wouldn't need to shorten your driveshaft....

If you stay with aftermarket wheels, the Torq Thrust type rims look great and you can get them in 14 or 15 with proper backspacing View attachment 1716250419

Depends on the car!
The torque thrusts look great on your gray.
And, they look good on my PT Cruiser.

But, I'm gonna tuck the tires back in and go for something more original looking, like Weld Wheels.

Driver's side close up.jpg

Yup! Looks the same.
And the previous owner lived not that far from PA.
Do the center caps have a logo.
On mine, when cleaned up, the inside of the wheel is almost a creamy white.

And, it looks like Halibrand is now owned by Holley.
They are Halibrand look alikes from China. My caps don't have any center emblems or stickers.

If you stay with aftermarket wheels, the Torq Thrust type rims look great and you can get them in 14 or 15 with proper backspacing View attachment 1716250419
Agreed, IF the o.p. converts to 4.5 bolt pattern. I believe he is still 5 on 4. The only torque thrust style 5 on 4 I know of are team III custom order (around $500 a wheel) and Boyd's 17x7 and 17x8.

I have a pair of 5 on 4 centerlines (NOT for sale!) that have 38mm of offset.. Can you tell from that if they will fit? (Answer: without lots more info, no). But if I tell you the backspace , in inches, I bet you can tell......

Agreed, IF the o.p. converts to 4.5 bolt pattern. I believe he is still 5 on 4. The only torque thrust style 5 on 4 I know of are team III custom order (around $500 a wheel) and Boyd's 17x7 and 17x8.
Ouch! I thought American Racing still made them in a 4” pattern…

Ouch! I thought American Racing still made them in a 4” pattern…
They obviously did at one point. I don't think they have made 5 on 4 for a couple decades.
Best way i know of to see whats availabe in 5 on 4 (except for team III/ E-T mags) is plug in 5 on 4 bolt circle to summits wheel section and see what comes up (not much, and all 15" except for the Boyds).
Several years back, ARE increased the size of the hubs and center cap bolt pattern to accommodate larger disc brake hubs on modern cars. That means there's no room for a tiny 5 on 4", there's too much metal in the way.

Last edited:
-
Back