idle speed issues

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Got my 67 Dart aligned today, took it out for a test spin and on startup it idles fine, but after drive it doesn't return to idle(sorry, don't know rpms, no tach). Everything seems to be hooked up correctly(kickdown, springs etc) Playing around with it, and started it and it idles, put it in drive without touching the accelerator rpms go up, then in neutral or park and the rpms stay up. What do I look for to fix this? It is a 67 273, 2 barrel, automatic.
Thanks
Aaron

Start with simple stuff...........

Floormat stuck in throttle?

damaged throttle cable

Misadjusted, damaged kickdown linkage?

Stuck automatic choke?

Has someone been working on engine? What was done?

Got your foot on the brakes in all those instances?

Vac booster.

everything was removed from firewall, engine rebuilt, carb gone rebuilt, no floormats, no powerbrakes, yes foot on brake. had kickdown linkage off, the only adjustment point that I moved was at the carb. Will follow factory manual and adjust kickdown.
Thanks

What do you mean "moved at the carb?" What did you move?

Is the throttle cable "slack" at idle?

Have you tried moving the choke linkage?

Did you adjust the fore/aft movement of the throttle cable on the throttle cable bracket. Sounds like yours is too tight - needs a little more slack.

Disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and see if the car will idle down (leave the return springs intact!!).

See if you are hanging up in the carb or in the cable/linkage.

everything was removed from firewall, engine rebuilt, carb gone rebuilt, no floormats, no powerbrakes, yes foot on brake. had kickdown linkage off, the only adjustment point that I moved was at the carb. Will follow factory manual and adjust kickdown.
Thanks

My point in asking about the brakes is, Does the idle increase when you put your foot on the brakes?

Did you adjust the fore/aft movement of the throttle cable on the throttle cable bracket. Sounds like yours is too tight - needs a little more slack.

Disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and see if the car will idle down (leave the return springs intact!!).

See if you are hanging up in the carb or in the cable/linkage.

Did move the throttle cable in the bracket towards the carb. Test drove it again and it didn't seem to do it.
Thanks
Aaron

-
Back