Idler arm problem

-

Z3v0

Reaction score
Ok so I swapped in a 73 v8 k frame and 360 into my 71 swinger. I reused the power steering box and pitman arm. I'm trying to put the suspension together and I can't get the idler in. The angle of the bracket is very high and the drag link won't even make contact with the idler arm at that angle. Not to mention I have hooker 5901 headers in there and they are completely blocking the idler from even going into the bracket. Am I missing something here, cuz the figment is not even remotely close. The idler for a 73 goes up from the bracket, which would put it higher than the oil pan, my 71 idler goes down from the bracket and is far closer to fitting, but of course doesn't fit all the way.

I really need help on this one.

Mounts for the steering box and idler arm don't change 68 to 76, but complete assembly of pitman, idler, and tie rod centerlink need to match. 68 to 72 centerlinks mount above arms and middle is lower than ends to clear oil pan. 73 and later mount below the arms and is straighter. Tie rod ends will interchange with either. 73 and later power steering boxes use a pitman arm with the larger C body spline diameter.

Youll need a 73 center link and drag link too. 5901 headers...are they compatible with a 73? good luck. Mix and match steering is always a headache.

Any idea if I could use the center link and pitman from a 74 Plymouth satellite? The junkyard near me happens to have 2 of them.

-
Back