Ignition/door lock question?

-

scooby67

Reaction score
I just picked up a '74 Dart Swinger I'm restoring. Unfortunately, it has no keys. My locksmith can make a key, but my question is, does the ignition and door lock use the same key? He said to pull the door cylinder and he"ll make one, but I want to make certain they are the same. Thank you.

If the cylinders are original to the car, door and ignition use the same key. IF, IF, if. Hopefully if one or the other has been replaced, the new lock was re-pined to match existing key.

If it were me I would bring in both door locks. Chances are if one of the locks were replaced it would be the high use driver’s door, and the original passenger’s door may still match ignition.

Not to worry, the lock smith can impression an ignition key with the lock mounted in the column if door and ignition don’t match. He can than re-pin the door locks to match the ignition key.

Hey its only money, if you are a lucky, the door key will work the ignition. Good luck.

Thanks wjarr. Actually, the car is in fantastic shape!! Only 38,000 original miles. It has a 6 in it now and bought the car to drop in a built 360 and 727 that I've had sitting in my garage for a year. I'm quite certain nothing has been replaced on the car. My friend is going to pull the door lock cylinder and bring it to a locksmith. It's rather hard to move around with the steering wheel locked!!

As WJAJR mentioned the door and the switch were the same when new. If a door lock has been replaced or the switch has been replaced then they may now be different. I would pull the door lock and have it rekeyed and hope that it is still the same. Having a key made for the lock should not be that expensive. Another thought is to check the car over for a hide-a-key. I found an original set for my 69 wrapped in black electrical tape and wired to the core support. Good luck.
~Michael

I personally like the idea of two different keys, that is the first thing I do when I buy a vehicle. I replace the ignition lock so if there is anyone out there with a set of keys they may be able to get in but they won't be able to just start it and drive off.

Frankly, as old as a 74 is I'd just buy a matched set of locks and IGN cylinder

Depending on where the car has been stored, and how it's been driven, the door locks could be fairly mucked up with corrosion, and the ignition could be half worn out.

Thanks guys. I actually went to my buddy's house today to see the car. I haven't really had a chance to look it over closely, It on has 11,112 original miles!!! It's as solid as a rock! He's a body man and says he can believe how straight the car is. He pulled the door panel off to get the lock out. It's pristine inside!! Mind you, I bought the car for $500 at a towing pace. It had been abandoned on someone's property. Was last registered in 1989!

.................. It on has 11,112 original miles!!! It's as solid as a rock! ........................ I bought the car for $500 !

What a DOG you are!!! GOOD find, how 'bout some

esqu_off_pitchers_LRG.jpg

Thanks guys. I actually went to my buddy's house today to see the car. I haven't really had a chance to look it over closely, It on has 11,112 original miles!!! It's as solid as a rock! He's a body man and says he can believe how straight the car is. He pulled the door panel off to get the lock out. It's pristine inside!! Mind you, I bought the car for $500 at a towing pace. It had been abandoned on someone's property. Was last registered in 1989!
sure it isnt 111,112 ? wheres the pics, we love our car **** !

I'll get some pics for you animals this weekend!!!

-
Back