ignition help

-

Tawny Demon

Reaction score
I took my demon out today with no issues until about five minutes from home after I stopped at the store. I went to go home and the car started to have a stumbling /wandering idle and almost dieing which was only present From 900 to 1500 rpm. I have a digital msd a6 box that is trigger by the Mopar orange ignition box and is firing a vintage Mallory electronic ignition rev pole coil, the msd has a kill switch on the ground side an I have a master kill in the rear for the trunk mounted battery.the one thing I notice when the malfacuntion was occurring is that the msd power light was flickering intermittently which leads me to believe that the msd has intermittent power and or ground. The other aspect that I wonder isif the orange box my ballest resistor or my pick up could be bad also would be my wiring has an issue. So what do you guys think?

Carry an in-line spark tester (cheap, Harbor Freight) and starter fluid, like I do. If it runs smoother with a few shots of starter fluid into the air filter, it is probably a fuel problem, though a weak spark might fire ether better. You can even drive the car for miles with the spark tester installed.

In my experience it's not the ballast resistor. You need a good ground...thought I had it, but it would die when the car heated up. Might run a good wire directly to engine or batt ground. I was grounding to chassis. Parts store guy said he'd dump the orange box and go with a MSD...said he's seen many bad orange boxes. I ended up pulling my electronic distributor and going back to my Mallory dual point. On thing I learned on my ballast resistor is that my expensive field piece voltmeter didn't show resistance...my cheapo one that was a gift 20 years ago did...it's very sensitive I guess. If you test your resistor make sure you do it under load(running) best when hot I think. I called the manufacturer as I had 12v in and out (+5 or 6 of the things scattered from the trunk to glove box!)and he said that was norm until it was under load. Think I read somewhere provides a stronger spark for starting. Good luck and post what you find out fixes it!

Check carb bolts make sure there snug, she might be sucking some air.

-
Back