Ignition key is hot - temp wise

-

rednesss

Reaction score
So I've noticed lately that my ignition key is warm/hot to the touch after taking it out of the ignition switch. Is that normal, or is there maybe some carbon buildup etc. inside that's making the normal current that flows through it heat up the lock cylinder? I'm wondering if I need a new switch. I do have some voltage drop on the 12v switched blue wire going to the ballast resistor. Opinions welcomed. Thanks

I noticed the exact same heat related issue with my 1971 Duster 340. My car has the lighted ignition switch time delay feature when the door is opened. The light around the ignition switch area fades slowly over time, and then goes out.

If I drive my car for 1/2 hour or more the ignition switch area on the column gets progressively warmer with time.

Any thoughts and ideas on what's involved, how to diagnose and what the potential culprits are and how to cure would be appreciated.

A resistance in current results in a temperature rise.
The warm key is telling you the switch is resisting the amount of current going through it. Loose connections can cause this indeed.

I would look into lessening the current load through the ignition switch by finding the issue, or for instance letting it control a relay, which in it's turn controls the ignition system.

I had a 73 Dart with lighted bezel. Never got hot.74 DartSport no lite no heat either.None of my Mopars ever had heat in the key.Not column mounted nor dash mounted.So Id have to say..not normal.
I Would be digging into it in a hurry have a look see, before a little heat turns into a lotta heat.
When they went to steering wheel locks, they divorced the key mech. from the switch, so theres almost no way for heat to be in there. The earlier assys had the contacts attached to the back of the switch part. So those could be heated by an electrical problem.Especially a loose connector on the backside.
Lets see what others say...
FYI, it could be anything on the run circuit, not necessarily drawing excessive current, and the sw could be just the weakest link.For instance a high powered stereo pulling through that sw, or the heater, etc. Point is even if you replace the sw.,you need to look to the possibility that something else could be calling the play.
And FWIW, I have an original sw in my 68. Its so worn out that when I take off hard, the key, with nothing more than the trunk key attached, flies out heading for the backseat, leaving the sw in the run position. Then I know those 295s are working! heh-heh.

I'm leaning towards 47 years of buildup on the contacts within the switch, it doesn't really strike me as a part that can be taken apart and cleaned and then reassembled. A new switch is under $20, I guess I should bite the bullet and order one.

have a look at the white harness connector from that switch ( under the column ). It is more prone to meltdown. Feel for the warmth there and going upward. If all this is warm and progressively warmer going upward, the manually operated switch is a likely culprit.

I've once had a field wire to the alternator short out and melt everything together upstream while I was driving.

This was in a '64 Chrysler with a dash mounted ign. switch.
When I started seeing smoke coming from under the dash I quickly reached over turned off the ignition and coasted the car to the side of the road.
While turning the ignition key I already noticed the key was warm and the switch internals had almost melted because it took more force then usual to turn the key off.

Ruh ruh ruh relay time!

And replace the switch while you're at it.

Dirty or worn ignition switch contacts (internal to the switch) can cause heat. You can try spraying contact cleaner into the switch and then work the switch back and forth. If that doesn't work you will probably need a new switch. Good Luck

You guys didn't know that Mopar offered a cold-weather package that included heated ignition keys? Way ahead of it's time.

Like already mentioned...heat is from resistance. I would be thinking of installing a new ignition switch soon. Don't put chinses junk in there. You can still find NORS switches on eBag that are of good quality.

-
Back