Ignition key won't come out

-

bluesuitah

Reaction score
My ignition won't return to the stop position allowing me to pull the key out. No matter how much I jiggle the key/ignition. Any easy fix to this or does the whole ignition need to be replaced via the procedure above?

My ignition won't return to the stop position allowing me to pull the key out. No matter how much I jiggle the key/ignition. Any easy fix to this or does the whole ignition need to be replaced via the procedure above?

70 Column? Two things.

One, is the park/reverse lockout hooked up on the column? If it is it needs adjusting to clear the key lock mechanism. If not, grab the collar closest to the dash and twist it counter-clockwise and see if the key releases.

Two, turn the wheel slightly so the cogs on the lockout wheel line up with its tang.

Ok, you are correct. Collar closest to the dash rotates freely. Fully counterclockwise allows key to be removed. Four speed car, and correct column as far as I know, so why is this rotating freely. There is a small hole in this collar, is this missing something?

It's missing the reverse lockout linkage. There are some rods that run from the reverse tab on trans to an arm on column in engine compartment.

Easiest thing to do is wire the arm on your column to a position that allows key removal. That's what I did on my 70 Dart 4 gear car.

-
Back