Ignition lock cylinder install

-

bob7four

Reaction score
Trying to replace in dash cylinder lock on my 69 Barracuda. Removed the old one ok. When I insert new cylinder it goes only so far. Do I need to tap into place or am I missing something?

I just did our 67 Barracuda, in-dash switch... I have no idea what your 69 looks like.
The switch I had , had three locating tabs on it. My dash only had one locating slot.
I took a dremel and ground back two of the tabs on my switch, allowing the switch to
fully seat into the dash.

I think there was a diameter change in the switches at some point as well.

Steve

Ignore my comment . I replaced the whole switch,
you just pulled the cylinder out of your switch.
I've got nothing to help. Sorry.
Steve

If you look close at the lock cyl...there is a brass pin.. that needs to go past acc, in order to instlall... Put the key in it and turn it to acc...then look at the brass pin... Depress the pin a little with a pic.. and continue to turn the key past acc.. and it should find the correct detent in the cyl... Now.. push cyl into the switch and turn clockwise after it hits bottom... Hope that helps...

Make sure you have a 69 cylinder as well , 69 is the odd year for some reason they switched suppliers for that year then went back in 70 . I could be mistaken about the sizes but I believe the 69 is the longer of the two ? If you have the correct unit then Moparmitch has you covered .

Funny I just dropped off ign switch for 67 and 69 as well as NOS door locks to the locksmith. Getting them keyed the same.
67 68 & 69 are each unique, one year only for each of them.
As Cannucky said 69 is longer

That is strange Steve when I ordered my replacement 69 there were only 2 part numbers for in dash locks , 1 of those must be a very old model year , like pre 49 the 67 and 68 both are supposed to be the US50L part # and some references say 49-68 and some say 60-68 . I know the vans went back to that lock in 70 as well as any trucks that had dash mounted switches .

-
Back