Ignition Module Question

-
most chrysler round coils are required to have between 1-1.5 ohm resistance, if you want more fire go with an accel coil or a flamethower coil, what ever you do don't remove the ballast resistor on a stock coil or it could die anytime in the middle of no where

I actually made it 5 miles when I hot-wired +12V straight to the coil in driving my 64 Valiant home after buying it. The ignition switch had a problem. It didn't die suddenly, but rather started missing at more throttle so I couldn't go faster than 40 mph. I then wired in the ballast and got home with no damage to the coil.

I think you need the ballast to protect both the coil and the electronic ignition. The Crane XR700 ignition I have on 2 cars says to keep the ballast in, even if you upgrade the coil. Later ignitions, like the GM HEI don't require a ballast, so are a better choice with an after-market coil. I would use an E-core type coil, like the GM "external coil" or the coil on Mopar Magnum engines, if junkyard shopping. I suspect the expensive red or yellow after-market versions are just hype.

-
Back