ignition switch question

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. i have a quick question. my ignition switch sometimes stops working. i turn the key and get nothing. also when i turn the key my volt gauge drops to zero and back up to 12 when i let off. i can still start it with my remote switch if i hook it up under the hood. is this just an old switch that maybe has a loose connection. i bought a new one but it didnt have the locating pin cast into it to hold it in place in the dash. i have another original from when i had my barracuda. i was going to swap that one into the car, maybe that will fix it. i guess what im asking is does this sound like an electrical issue or just an old switch. my whole harness is new, thats why i dont think its electrical. but maybe i have a bad connection somewhere. maybe someone has had this problem before. thanks
-aaron-

when you turn the key and get nothing,do you mean the car turns over but does not start,or does it not even turn over?

it doesnt even turn over. it does it off and on. it will work fine, then the next time i try to start it. nothing at all happens.

it sounds like the starter relay,that is alot cheaper and easier to replace than the ignition switch.

is there a way to test the relay. mine is new, but it could still be bad, you never know. i will probably chenge out my switch for now. if it does it again i will know its not the switch. thanks.

check the wires going to the ballast resistor,one should have current while cranking,and the other only in the on position.i just went through this same thing. once you find out which wire is which,and if you have no current to the cranking side,than the switch or wire is bad.if you get current to both ,then i would suspect the starter relay or neutral start safety switch.next time it does it try starting the car in neutral.

well shoot. i dont have a ballast resistor anymore since im running the pertronix ignition and coil. i could still check to see if i get voltage on the start side when i turn the key though, i just need to pull the switch out so i can get my test meter on the connections. thanks for the idea!

For a quick check you can clip a test light to the ignition switch lead at the starter relay and see if you are getting juice to that point when trying to start. A voltage meter can also be used. If good to that point check to see if you have continuity to ground on the neutral safety switch lead. if good check to see that voltage is going out to the starter. If good bad starter, if not relay. If no ground on NSS lead need to check the NSS and wiring from it to starter relay. If no power to relay, check switch, if it is good then you are looking at wiring and that is so much fun.

You can easily bench test the starter relay. There are 4 terminals, 2 for the coil and 2 for the switch. Take it off the car and apply 12 volts to the relay coil terminals. You will hear a click indicating the switch has closed. You can then check for continuity across the switch. You may also want to check the resistance across the switch with an ohmmeter... it should be really low, like about 1 ohm or less.

Where in No. Ca. are you? Anywhere near Sacratomato?

should i run a ground wire from the relay mounting bolt back to the battery for a better ground. i thought i had this fixed, but it did it again to me today. turned the key and got nothing. maybe a bad ground on the starter relay.

The ground for the starter relay is provided through the Neutral Safety Switch.

-
Back